Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Erik B. Craig" <gi...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/02 17:41:16 UTC

Deploy script bombs with remote host

All,

I am wondering if anyone else has been using the deployer script to
deploy on a remote machine at all recently, and if so if you have
noticed any problems with it.
I am getting a NullPointerException on an attempt to deploy a plugin
from one machine to another with

install-plugin <path to plugin>

The similar command works flawlessly locally on the machine I'm trying
to deploy to. Both machines have the same compiled revision of
2.1-SNAPSHOT running (590751).

Here's a copy of the error while running ./deploy.sh with the -v option
11:17:09,171 INFO  [Log4jService]
11:17:12,093 INFO  [RemoteDeploymentManager] Uploading 1 file(s) to server
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.CommandSupport.doFail(CommandSupport.java:141)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.remote.RemoteDeployUtil.uploadFilesToServer(RemoteDeployUtil.java:206)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.jmx.RemoteDeploymentManager.startInstall(RemoteDeploymentManager.java:234)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandInstallCAR.execute(CommandInstallCAR.java:49)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.DeployTool.execute(DeployTool.java:161)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.main(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:45)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:67)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(DeployerCLI.java:31)
ebcraig@ebcraig-t60p:~/g-built/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1-SNAPSHOT/bin$
cd /home/ebcraig/g-src/

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,
Erik B. Craig

Re: Deploy script bombs with remote host

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I'm pretty sure this is something no one has tried before.

The basic problem IMNSHO is explained clearly CommandSupport line 60:

     protected CommandContext commandContext = null; //todo: this is
pretty bad; should add it into constructor

this should be private final.

I guess we need a jira.... if you want  to fix it fine otherwise I
will a bit later today.

thanks for trying out remote plugin install!!!

david jencks