Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2015/02/18 04:21:41 UTC

Does pooling sessions/producers across threads improve single process throughput?

Is pooling sessions / producers a good strategy to get multi-threaded
throughput for producers?

I have a loop that produces message and needs to complete quickly.  It’s
parallel now but still not as fast as I want.

I was thinking that perhaps using a pool of sessions/producers and then
using one per thread would be faster:

1.  The sessions/producers won’t have to block send()s from other threads,
so I would get more parallelism.

2.  I get more protocol level parallelism and use more cores within AMQ on
the server side since I’m using multiple connections.

Just worried this might be a JMS anti-patter and I also have to spend some
time refactoring code (which is no fun).

Additionally, I introduce a new component which could fail (my pooling
code).

Kevin

--

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com