Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2005/08/01 11:20:45 UTC

Re: [legal] current to-do's

Please do holler if there's some stuff you can delegate. Perhaps not the
actual policy defining or discussing, but I *am* working on workflow
processes for stuff like infrastructure requests atm (no it ain't written in
java :-P), and it makes sense to plan for the future and incorporate the
workflow changes we're thinking of here in the planning of that tool.

Cheers,

LSD

Re: [legal] current to-do's

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 01-08-2005 14:07, "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> heretic!

:-P

>> and it makes sense to plan for the future and incorporate the
>> workflow changes we're thinking of here in the planning of that tool.
>
> Sure - it's not quite obvious where we'd jump in here yet, but I
> assume that this is a tool that PMC's will be able to use to add a
> committer?

Potentially its going to be a tool that various parties use for various
things that don't have automated workflows yet but could really use them,
and have the result of that tracked via svn/e-mail/jira. I.e. generic. That
includes account management but also mailing list management and other
stuff. There's going to be "human steps" in that process (eg its still going
to be root entering a command, we'll just spit it out for him).

This will all be happening inside

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/apworkflow/
(sorry, not public atm, if you're an apache committer and follow infra@ you
can request read karma)

For now, primarily because it means some smart people will be watching my
every move and hitting me on the head when I introduce security problems :-)

> I would assume a general workflow of something like :
>
> 1) PMC Starts a workflow for a new committer
> 2) execution blocks until ICLA registered by scy or officer
> 3) Account creation finishes

Right, there's actually a fairly detailed workflow spec for account creation
already (email sent to committers@ something like 1 1/2 years ago) complete
with ascii art.

> Maybe add the ability for a PMC specific step or steps in there
> before finish?  We'd need something as simple as a question to be
> answered "Does person have ACQ on file?"

Exactly. That's the kind of stuff we're going to be looking at. I want to
figure out *exactly* what steps for things like "Bulk Contributions" or
"Authorized Contributors" are necessary from various parties (eg the
Secretary has to ACK faxes for some stuff, maybe the PMC signs off on
specific steps).

I think the workflow is rather different. For example, a "committer" is
something you become on behalf of a PMC, whereas you can make yourself an
Authorized Contributor by virtue of sending in a fax and a Bulk Contributor
by virtue of adding an attachment to jira. However we still need tracking
and oversight (hey, someone sent in a new ACQ, it conflicts with earlier
ones).

> This sounds really cool...

I'm aiming for really functional, but it might end up being cool in the
process ;)

- LSD

Re: [legal] current to-do's

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:20 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> Please do holler if there's some stuff you can delegate. Perhaps
> not the
> actual policy defining or discussing, but I *am* working on workflow
> processes for stuff like infrastructure requests atm (no it ain't
> written in
> java :-P),

heretic!

> and it makes sense to plan for the future and incorporate the
> workflow changes we're thinking of here in the planning of that tool.

Sure - it's not quite obvious where we'd jump in here yet, but I
assume that this is a tool that PMC's will be able to use to add a
committer?

I would assume a general workflow of something like :

1) PMC Starts a workflow for a new committer
2) execution blocks until ICLA registered by scy or officer
3) Account creation finishes

Maybe add the ability for a PMC specific step or steps in there
before finish?  We'd need something as simple as a question to be
answered "Does person have ACQ on file?"

This sounds really cool...

geir

geirm@apache.org