Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Quim Gil <qu...@nokia.com> on 2012/01/12 00:37:41 UTC

[callback-qt] Qt 5, WebKit2 & Qt Quick

Hi, I hope it is ok to have here the discussion about the new project to
bring Qt support for PhoneGap [1] - as suggested at
http://wiki.qt-project.org/PhoneGap_for_Qt_5

Looking at https://github.com/callback/callback-qt &
https://github.com/tranter/callback-qt there seems to be a mixture of Qt
4 / WebKit and Qt 5 / WebKit 2 features? Since the primary focus is Qt 5
we really need to concentrate on WebKit2, which is not a trivial change.

Think also that QWidget is out of the essential Qt 5 components. It is
expected to be still in used for desktop but anything mobile in the
context of Qt 5 is clearly going in the direction of Qt Quick 2.
Therefore we can't rely on QWidget for this project.

I recommend you to check with the QtWebKit maintainers at #qtwebkit .
Some of them are really familiar with PhoenGap and they are becoming
aware of this project pretty quick.

btw I took the liberty of CCing Caio Marcelo from INdT since he has been
looking at the Qt hybrid approach for quite some time.

Looking forward to the first releases and the day when this port can be
considered part of Apache Cordova (I still need to make an effort not to
write "Còrdova"). Also hi to Brian and other post-Nitobi folks - as you
can see some of us can be really stubborn.  :)

[1] http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2012/01/12/qt-for-phonegap/

--
Quim

Re: [callback-qt] Qt 5, WebKit2 & Qt Quick

Posted by Caio Marcelo <cm...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I've subscribed with my other address (caio.oliveira@openbossa.org) to
the callback-dev mailing list -- it is the preferred contact mail :-).

I think Cordova is a perfect use case for motivate the hybrid APIs in
Qt. The multiprocess architecture change the game a little bit, so
earlier support to expose QObjects in the webpage JS environment is
not there yet -- and possible won't be there the way we are used to.

There's a thread in webkit-qt mailing list that have a lot of
information about what cases we are considering
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-qt/2011-October/001953.html.

Next week I'll take a deeper look at Cordova API and at exising Qt backend.

Cheers,

--
Caio Marcelo

Re: [callback-qt] Qt 5, WebKit2 & Qt Quick

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Well, thats the best case scenario!  Love it and welcome Quim and Qt
friends to the fray. Pls let us know if what you need from us.

Posted by Quim Gil <qu...@nokia.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Quim Gil <qu...@nokia.com>.