Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Whitehurst <dl...@comcast.net> on 2004/01/26 03:25:51 UTC

Can't get project.xml to work ...

Hi:

I installed maven, point to /bin and MAVEN_HOME is there too.  I can run
"maven test' it downloads a bunch of things, but creates no classes or
docs, just folders in target dir.

I setup a project.xml in my workspace/DBPirate dir for my project.  When
I run I keep getting the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.maven.project.Project.standardToLegacyId(Project.java:1566

I changed the project name, and the cvs point, because my project is on
java.net at /cvs level but the project is actually at
/cvs/dbpirate/DBPirate because my web is at /cvs/dbpirate/www.

I use no JUnit yet, but I installed that too.

Anyhow, heres my project.xml ... I'm stumped.

<project>
<pomVersion>1</pomVersion>
<name>dbpirate</name>
<id>dbpirate</id>
<currentVersion>1.0a</currentVersion>
-
    <organization>
<name>PiratePete Software Group</name>
<url>http://www.piratepetesoftware.com/</url>
</organization>
<inceptionYear>2003</inceptionYear>
<package>com.piratepete.dbpirate</package>
-
    <shortDescription>
DBPirate is a Multi-Database Query and Browsing Tool
</shortDescription>
<!-- Gump integration -->
<gumpRepositoryId/>
<description>
    Later a description will be provided.
  </description>
<url>https://dbpirate.dev.java.net/</url>
<issueTrackingUrl>

  </issueTrackingUrl>
<siteAddress>localhost</siteAddress>
<siteDirectory>
    /var/www/html/maven/
  </siteDirectory>
<distributionDirectory>
    /var/www/html/builds/
  </distributionDirectory>
-
    <repository>
-
    <connection>

      cvs:pserver:anoncvs@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs:dbpirate

</connection>
-
    <url>

      https://dbpirate.dev.java.net/source/browse/dbpirate/DBPirate/

</url>
</repository>
-
    <versions>
-
    <version>
<id>1.0a</id>
<name>1.0a</name>
<tag>DBPirate v1.0a</tag>
</version>
-
    <version>
<id>1.0a</id>
<name>1.0a</name>
<tag>HEAD</tag>
</version>
</versions>
-
    <mailingLists>
-
    <mailingList>
<name>DBPirate User List</name>
<subscribe>
        announce@dbpirate.dev.java.net
      </subscribe>
<unsubscribe>
        users-unsubscribe@maven.apache.org
      </unsubscribe>
-
    <archive>

        http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/

</archive>
</mailingList>
-
    <mailingList>
<name>Maven Developer List</name>
<subscribe>
        dev-subscribe@maven.apache.org
      </subscribe>
<unsubscribe>
        dev-unsubscribe@maven.apache.org
      </unsubscribe>
-
    <archive>

        http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/

</archive>
</mailingList>
</mailingLists>
-
    <developers>
-
    <developer>
<name>David Whitehurst</name>
<id>piratepete</id>
<email>piratepete@dev.java.net</email>
<organization/>
</developer>
-
    <developer>
<name>Jeremy Whitlock</name>
<id>jcscoobyrs</id>
<email>jcscoobyrs@dev.java.net</email>
<organization/>
</developer>
</developers>
-
    <dependencies>
-
    <dependency>
<groupId/>
<artifactId/>
<version/>
<url/>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
-
    <build>
<nagEmailAddress>
      dev@dbpirate.dev.java.net
    </nagEmailAddress>
<sourceDirectory>/src</sourceDirectory>
<unitTestSourceDirectory/>
<aspectSourceDirectory/>
<!-- Unit test cases -->
-
    <unitTest>
-
    <includes>
<include/>
</includes>
-
    <excludes>
<exclude/>
</excludes>
</unitTest>
<!-- J A R  R E S O U R C E S -->
-
    <!--
 Resources that are packaged up inside the JAR file
-->
-
    <resources>
-
    <resource>
<directory>${basedir}/lib</directory>
-
    <includes>
<include>*.zip</include>
<include>*.jar</include>
</includes>
</resource>
</resources>
<!-- Integration unit test cases -->
<integrationUnitTest/>
<jars>
    </jars>
</build>
</project>

Thanks for any help,

David

Re: Can't get project.xml to work ...

Posted by David Whitehurst <dl...@comcast.net>.
John:

Thanks.  I got things to run.  It didn't pick up my source and compile,
but it did find e.g. the jdom.jar I went to their site to get the
goodies and use in the dependency tag.  I have to now figure why the JAR
got build with only my jars inside, the src did not compile nor did the
classes get built and put in the JAR.  Anyhow, I am closer.  I like what
Maven can do because we have a new Open Source project on java.net and I
want to do the Maven thing on my server and then mail a letter, with
links to the Maven reports daily.  Excellent idea.

Thanks

David

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Posted by David Whitehurst <dl...@comcast.net>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
<snip>

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
I'm a newbie myself, but I've generated the same error when my depencies
were not right.

<dependency>
<groupId/>
<artifactId/>