Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de> on 2020/09/10 07:02:12 UTC

Logo for About dialog in 4.1.8

Hello,

"open source" or "open-source" is not my wording; I prefer "Free Software".

But it is ok for me and for that purpose. So let us continue our work.

A "-" is not so important to discuss it intensively.

It is more important to solve the problems to get a very proper build
until anniversary.

Kind regards
Michael

RE: Logo for About dialog in 4.1.8

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hi Dave,

yes, that was how I understood it

> It is not about the project logo, website appearance, and/or stickers.

There was only one reason for my question ("Will there be an effective opportunity to discuss this?"): I do not want to miss another discussion.

But you see how Michael reacts and I think his statement is wrong because it is the normal way to discuss and decide such things together. But I suppose he just expressed himself wrong.

> Start a new thread about the website logo and the existing
> tag line “The Free and Open Office Productivity Suite"

I don't think this is appropriate, because it is a waste of time to discuss something that is only temporary anyway (= the reference to the 20 years on the logo).

Jörg

Re: Logo for About dialog in 4.1.8

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi Jörg,

This discussion has been about the logo that appears on the Application About box and possibly the Startup Screen.

It is not about the project logo, website appearance, and/or stickers.

> On Sep 10, 2020, at 1:22 AM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

Apache Community Development has a relationship with Redbubble to put project logos onto items including stickers. We can certainly start a thread to discuss if we wish to create a special logo for this purpose.

In this case start a new thread to discuss stickers and that tag line.

Or if you want start a new thread about both.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

No, because it has never been like this before.

When, for example, the ProOO-Box AOO-Flyer, paid for the community (i.e. the members of the ProOO-Box paid for it privately, because we have no Association), we naturally discussed the content together in the community and did not decide alone.

I also think it is absolutely indisputable that we should decide together on things that affect us together and not leave them to the uncontrolled influence of those who pay.
Nothing else is done by the ASF itself, which of course has rules not to let the influence of sponsors become too great.

(I think Michael just misspelled it and doesn't mean it the way it is written.)

What has just been said is not to be understood as a law, but _as the normal, reasonable way_, which we have always followed together.
It does not exclude, for example, that project members may produce and distribute stickers (and more) with undisputed contents.

However, one thing MUST be clearly excluded, namely that individuals (Companies, associations, etc.), have the binding right to create promotional materials of any content just because they pay for them.

Jörg

note:
The trademark rights of ASF are of course undisputed and not part of my statement. But these are rights that formally we cannot enforce, but only the ASF itself.

Re: Logo for About dialog in 4.1.8

Posted by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.

Am 10.09.20 um 10:22 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> [...]

If someone do not want to distribute them, because they are ugly in his
or her eyes, may not distribute them.

So the only possible discussion is a trademark issue.

It is an old germanophone saying: „Wer zahlt, schafft an.“

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Hello,

Am 10.09.20 um 09:54 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> a bad looking logo *is* a problem.

The Logo, I voted for is not bad looking in my eyes.

For me it seems also proper for example for stickers.

IMO it not a "love it or hate it" design and that is an advantage in my
eyes.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

That's right.

It would have been much more important to write at least the existing text (="open-source für 20 years") one line _below_ the logo.
This would not be the only possible solution, but a solution that would improve (imho) the visual appearance of the logo in an uncomplicated and effortless way.

Does anyone really want to tell me that the current, _squeezed_ representation looks good?