Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Ryan McGuire <ry...@datastax.com> on 2015/04/22 18:48:30 UTC

A proposal for how we use JIRA in the tick-tock release process

In the interests of making the tick tock release process as smooth and

efficient as possible, I’d like to propose a few procedural JIRA

rules:

 * Let’s use the In Progress status to indicate when development is

actually in progress. This can be a very useful indicator to testers

that it’s the right time to engage the developer to discuss testing

plans and agree on the Definition of Done for that ticket.

 * Let’s use the Testing status after a patch has been reviewed, and

before the patch gets merged, to be an opportunity for people to chime

in about whether or not the proposed change has adequate testing and

meets the Definition of Done.

It’s not my intention to add needless formalities to the process or to

slow things down for the developers - test planning and test

implementation should always be done concurrently while a test is In

Progress, so the Testing status for a ticket should be short lived.

What it gives us is a more solid way of knowing that what gets merged

into trunk is in as best shape as it can be, and is always

deliverable.

I would also note that the Testing phase should not be regarded as

only for the DataStax test engineering team. It really should be a

collaborative phase where we all can discuss the tests that everyone

has contributed. If a developer is confident that all the testing is

in place (unit tests, dtests, etc.) then they should feel free to skip

the testing status.

--

[image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>

Ryan McGuire

Software Engineering Manager in Test | ryan@datastax.com

[image: linkedin.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/enigmacurry> [image:
twitter.png] <http://twitter.com/enigmacurry>
<http://github.com/enigmacurry>

Re: A proposal for how we use JIRA in the tick-tock release process

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
SGTM.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM, Ryan McGuire <ry...@datastax.com> wrote:

> In the interests of making the tick tock release process as smooth and
>
> efficient as possible, I’d like to propose a few procedural JIRA
>
> rules:
>

>  * Let’s use the In Progress status to indicate when development is
>
> actually in progress. This can be a very useful indicator to testers
>
> that it’s the right time to engage the developer to discuss testing
>
> plans and agree on the Definition of Done for that ticket.
>

>  * Let’s use the Testing status after a patch has been reviewed, and
>
> before the patch gets merged, to be an opportunity for people to chime
>
> in about whether or not the proposed change has adequate testing and
>
> meets the Definition of Done.
>

> It’s not my intention to add needless formalities to the process or to
>
> slow things down for the developers - test planning and test
>
> implementation should always be done concurrently while a test is In
>
> Progress, so the Testing status for a ticket should be short lived.
>
> What it gives us is a more solid way of knowing that what gets merged
>
> into trunk is in as best shape as it can be, and is always
>
> deliverable.
>

> I would also note that the Testing phase should not be regarded as
>
> only for the DataStax test engineering team. It really should be a
>
> collaborative phase where we all can discuss the tests that everyone
>
> has contributed. If a developer is confident that all the testing is
>
> in place (unit tests, dtests, etc.) then they should feel free to skip
>
> the testing status.
>

> --
>
> [image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>
>
> Ryan McGuire