Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ganapathi Raman <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/27 13:33:37 UTC

SocketAppenders

Hi...

I posted this Q last week but think it was lost...can
anyone please...

This is regarding socket appenders in general.

I am having an application that logs messages thru a
SocketAppender. I am using log4j's ServerSocket app as
a listener to receive the messages over the network
and log them. My question is that sometimes(only
sometimes and not all the time) i lose my
messages when at the server end (SocketServer) i get
error messages as :

20   [main] ERROR org.apache.log4j.net.SocketNode  -
Could not open ObjectInputStream to
Socket[addr=localhost/127.0.0.1,port=1638,localport=20200]
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer:
JVM_recv in socket input stream read
        at
java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead(Native Method)
        at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:90)
        at
java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:106)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.read(ObjectInputStream.java:1387)
        at
java.io.DataInputStream.readShort(DataInputStream.java:268)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readShort(ObjectInputStream.java:1556)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.readStreamHeader(ObjectInputStream.java:724)
        at
java.io.ObjectInputStream.<init>(ObjectInputStream.java:165)
        at
org.apache.log4j.net.SocketNode.<init>(SocketNode.java:52)
        at
org.apache.log4j.net.SocketServer.main(SocketServer.java,
Compiled Code)
40   [Thread-0] ERROR org.apache.log4j.net.SocketNode
- Unexpected exception. Closing conneciton.
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.log4j.net.SocketNode.run(SocketNode.java,
Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

I tried several times and am not able to get a pattern
that generated the error. Is it an error in the
network or am i screwing something up?

Can anyone help me??

Regards,
Ganapathi.