Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/11/01 15:02:20 UTC

Re: 'broken links' under .. what .. circs?

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:45:05AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>
>>>Oh well, at least they're phantom broken links instead of the real
>>>thing.
>>
>>no, they're not.  they're real if the subdirectory is only mentioned
>>in the tabs.xml file.  which means to avoid them i need to list
>>them in the xdocs/book.xml menu, which kinda defeats the purpose
>>of the tabs..
>

> Oh I see..  I think that Forrest's tabs weren't designed for what you are
> trying to do. Forrest tabs follow the paper book "tab" analogy quite
> closely.  Each is like a hardcoded bookmark to a chapter.  In a real
> book, all chapters are still in the index, regardless of whether they're
> tabbed..
>
> But yes, that is far too limiting.  So it's a bug.. I'll see if I can
> squash it tomorrow.

If they become just URLs, even to outer stuff, it would be great.

This way for every Apache project we could put tabs for Bugzilla, FAQ,
Download, etc.

>>>Despite many people's efforts, the Cocoon CLI still sucks badly.
>>>Driving Forrest is like driving a siege engine.. big, slow, liable to go
>>>bang at the slightest mistake.  That's why we want to abandon the Cocoon
>>>CLI for everyday editing, as described in other threads.
>>
>>i'm new here and complete cocoon-unaware.  does the above mean
>>i won't be able to produce my site from the command line, but will
>>need to do it through some web interface?
>

> No, it means that you won't have to wait a few minutes for X pages to
> render between every tiny edit.  You'd edit the XML, switch to the
> browser and see the change rendered nearly instantly.  When you've
> finished editing, go back to the command-line and generate a static site
> with the usual 'forrest' command.

Ok, this is latest news.
I have finished a basic editor as a webapp that reads wiki-like input
and writes to the disk. It also shows the preview.
We will have to make a better grammer to be able to edit all the DTD
in a wiki-like way than the one I'm using now from the Cocoon demos.

I would love to see also XOpus or similar used as an editor, or similar.
If anyone wants to understand how they work...

I'll be flying back to Italy in a few hours time, so I'll be able to
commit hopefully in the weekend.

Cheers!

> Don't worry, despite being Java weenies there's lots of us who hate GUIs
> ;)

And being an XML integralist I hate non-semantic editors ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -