Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by "Dantzler, DeWayne C" <de...@boeing.com> on 2009/01/25 07:29:30 UTC

XML intro 101 Basics

 Hello

Can someone explain in XML for Dummies terms the difference between a
public id and system id? I'm trying to understand how to implement an
entity resolver and I'm getting tangled on these terms.

Thanks

DeWayne

Re: XML intro 101 Basics

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Dantzler, DeWayne C wrote:
>  Hello
>
> Can someone explain in XML for Dummies terms the difference between a
> public id and system id? I'm trying to understand how to implement an
> entity resolver and I'm getting tangled on these terms.
You should take a look at the XML recommendation first:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-sysid

In short, a aystem ID is a URI reference to a physical entity.  A public
ID is a intended to be a symbolic ID which is both unique and canonical.

For example, the a copy of the strict XHTML DTD is hosted by the W3C here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd

and it is identified by the following public ID:

-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN

In the future, please try to limit your postings to Xerces-specific
questions, rather than general questions about XML.

Dave