Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Adam Jack <aj...@mric.coop> on 2005/03/14 14:43:33 UTC

Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).

All,

I've created: /.../gump/staging (for shared CVS|SVN staging)
I've updated /.../gump/[test|kaffe|jdk15]/gump/metadata/brutus.xml to point
to above.
I've delete:    /.../gump/[test|kaffe|jdk15]/workspace/cvs.

Since these three runs use the trunk of SVN, the change I added last week
(to [on posix] file lock the module prior to a CVS|SVN update) ought be in
effect. Theoretically they ought now share this space cooperatively. [I
believe (although I am rusty here) that the file sync from staging to
working is what is used to determine if files were updated, we ought not
even loose that marker on things.]

If no ill effects are noticed we can do the same for the main public build.
Please let me know if anything look odd/different.

BTW: Are we looking for a free-j run/workspace? Do we need to make room for
that? [RT: I wonder if we could even overlay runs, having them use the same
working areas/everything. If they clean up (via sync) before they run, I
wonder where the harm might be.]

regards,

Adam

P.S. I also fixed the logo on this page: http://brutus.apache.org.

P.P.S. This was the df info prior to starting this change. Let's see where
we end up after a day or so.

86% /home
65% /usr

Re: Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > [RT: I wonder if we could even overlay runs, having them use the
>> > same working areas/everything. If they clean up (via sync) before
>> > they run, I wonder where the harm might be.]
>>
>> If they overlap in time, the later will sync away contents the one
>> that has started first still needs.
>
> I wasn't think for the main public run, just for non-overlapping
> sub-runs (that we wanted to make space for.) Just an RT.

On "good days" the Kaffe and JDK 1.5 runs overlap as well, same for
test and Kaffe ...

Stefan

Re: Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 15-03-2005 12:26, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>
>> Apache has quite a few of infra issues, and the board is aware. I'll
>> add that some of those are more pressing than gump's needs.
>
> No doubt.
>
>> So don't complain too much :-D
>
> Please help me rephrase the board report.  We can as well drop that
> completely and let you mention it at the infrathon ...

Well, I think you got that exactly right. It's an important issue for us, so
we should report it. But you're not asking for an action item or anything
like that, which is good! It's basically "be aware, please" :-D

Cheers,

Leo

Re: Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 14-03-2005 14:53, "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> BTW: Are we looking for a free-j run/workspace?
>
> I don't think so.

Me neither.

>> Do we need to make room for that?
>
> I'll raise the disk space issue in my next board report and will give
> infrstrastructure and board a heads-up that we could use more disk
> space, even though we don't have an urgent need.
>
> Leo, do you think I should hold that back and you want to talk about
> it at the infrathon?

Oh, I dunno. We'll talk about it regardless. There's not that much that the
board can do about fixing the infrastructural issues; that lies with infra@
anyway. We have a lot of underutilized diskspace, whole machines in fact.
Apache has quite a few of infra issues, and the board is aware. I'll add
that some of those are more pressing than gump's needs. So don't complain
too much :-D

Cheers,

- LSD

Re: Brutus changes (for sharing a common CVS|SVN staging area).

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Adam Jack <aj...@mric.coop> wrote:

> Since these three runs use the trunk of SVN, the change I added last
> week (to [on posix] file lock the module prior to a CVS|SVN update)
> ought be in effect.

I think the sync step needs to lock the directories as well, since
otherwise the working copy after sync can be in an inconsistent state.

> Theoretically they ought now share this space cooperatively.

Cool.

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> P.P.S. This was the df info prior to starting this change. Let's see where
> we end up after a day or so.
>
> 86% /home
> 65% /usr

65% /home