Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stephen Duncan <jr...@stephenduncanjr.com> on 2004/03/31 16:15:34 UTC

Multiple Repositiories, SVNParentPath, and Apache AutoIndex

I'd like to use multiple repositories.  I have them set up all under a single folder, so that I can use the SVNParentPath directive to allow them all to be accessed properly.  But I'd like to be able to go to that parent folder, and navigate to all the repositories it contains.  If possible, I'd also like to have some of the directories at that level not be repositories, but to instead be a folder containing similar repositories (I don't think I'd go any levels deeper than that).

I was hoping I could use mod_autoindex at the same time as the SVN Location with SVNParentPath setup, but that didn't work.

Is there a way to do this, but I'm just missing it?  (I'm still a novice with Apache)  Is there some other method people use to deal with making multiple repositories web accessible while keeping it automated in the face of repositories being added?

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas,
Stephen Duncan Jr.

Re: Multiple Repositiories, SVNParentPath, and Apache AutoIndex

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es>.
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 11:11:47 +0200
Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es> wrote:

> Suppose you access your p, q and r repositories through /repo:
>
>   <Location /repo>
>     DAV svn
>     SVNParentPath "/my/repos"    # Or whatever
>   </Location>

Well, obviously in this case you'll need to have:

  <Location /repo1>
     DAV svn
     SVNParentPath "/svn/webapps"
  </Location>

and you would need also a /repo2:

  <Location /repo2>
     DAV svn
     SVNParentPath "/svn/administrative"
  </Location>

And the Redirects would be

  RedirectPermanent /svn/webapps/p        http://my-server/repo1/p
  RedirectPermanent /svn/webapps/q        http://my-server/repo1/q
  RedirectPermanent /svn/administrative/r http://my-server/repo2/r

Other than that, what I wrote works. And, in any case, with the
setup you posted you cannot have a single SVNParentPath either...

                                                                Juanma

Re: Multiple Repositiories, SVNParentPath, and Apache AutoIndex

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es>.
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:05:15 -0600
"Stephen Duncan" <jr...@stephenduncanjr.com> wrote:

> Say I have the following structure, where the single letter directories
> are repositories, the rest are normal directories:
>
> svn
>    ->webapps
>       ->p
>       ->q
>    ->administrative
>       ->r
>
> I'd like to be able to go the svn directory through a browser, and see
> the webapps and administrative folders, and be able to click on them to
> navigate down.  Say I click on webapps, I'd like to see links for p and
> q.  If I click on p, then I'd like to see what the svn module normally
> provides when I go directly to svn/webapps/p.

A slightly different way:

Suppose you access your p, q and r repositories through /repo:

  <Location /repo>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath "/my/repos"    # Or whatever
  </Location>

  <Directory "/svn">
    AllowOverride FileInfo
    Options +Indexes
  </Directory>

And, in the svn directory, an .htaccess with:

  RedirectPermanent /svn/webapps/p        http://my-server/repo/p
  RedirectPermanent /svn/webapps/q        http://my-server/repo/q
  RedirectPermanent /svn/administrative/q http://my-server/repo/r

This way, you can navigate /svn with autoindexing, and when clicking on
the link for p, q or r, you are directed to the mod_dav_svn-served path.

It is not exactly what you're asking, if I understand you, because:

 - /svn/webapps/(p,q) is not the same as /repo/(p,q)
   I'm not sure if that's posible, although I imagine it is, with
   mod_rewrite trickery.

 - When clicking on p, the user can see in the address bar that he's
   been redirected (he was navigating /svn/webapps and suddenly he's in
   /repo/p).

Still, maybe that's acceptable for you.

                                                                Juanma

Re: Multiple Repositiories, SVNParentPath, and Apache AutoIndex

Posted by Juanma Barranquero <jm...@wke.es>.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:15:34 -0600
"Stephen Duncan" <jr...@stephenduncanjr.com> wrote:

> I'd like to use multiple repositories.  I have them set up all under a
> single folder, so that I can use the SVNParentPath directive to allow
> them all to be accessed properly.  But I'd like to be able to go to that
> parent folder, and navigate to all the repositories it contains.

Hmm...

If I'm understanding you right, can't you use another location/alias?

I suppose you have something like

  <Location /svn>
     DAV svn
     SVNParentPath "/my/repo/path"
  </Location>

Can't you have also

  Alias /svn-path "/my/repo/path"
  <Directory "/my/repo/path">
    Options +Indexes
  </Directory>

to use mod_autoindex on the same path (but with an alternate name)?

                                                                Juanma