Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/13 20:23:24 UTC

6.6.2 Release

Hi,
In light of [0], we need a 6.6.2 release as soon as possible.

I'd like to volunteer to RM for this release, unless someone else wants to
do so or has an objection.

Regards,
Ishan

[0] -
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/news.html#12-october-2017-please-secure-your-apache-solr-servers-since-a-zero-day-exploit-has-been-reported-on-a-public-mailing-list

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ishan,

I've backported SOLR-10335 to branch_6_6 so this is ready to go.
Thanks for volunteering for the release. I would have volunteered
after releasing 7.1 but you beat me to it.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<ic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> In light of [0], we need a 6.6.2 release as soon as possible.
>
> I'd like to volunteer to RM for this release, unless someone else wants to
> do so or has an objection.
>
> Regards,
> Ishan
>

> [0] -
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/news.html#12-october-2017-please-secure-your-apache-solr-servers-since-a-zero-day-exploit-has-been-reported-on-a-public-mailing-list

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

RE: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

From my experience, I think the problem is more the libc, or the combination of kernel and libc. I had huge problems with the libc and the kernel that was shipped originally with Ubuntu 16.04. A recent update fixed a lot of those issues on Ubuntu. One thing that completely broke was running of 32 bit programs (Java crashed with strange errors as soon as you started it), so you were not even able to compile Lucene with a 32 bit JDK. Maybe they broke something in thread handling.

In addition: Keep in mind, that newer CPU models have different behavior in their guarantees on what is visible in cache/RAM if different cores/cpus when they do concurrent work. In lots of cases, the problem is just missing/wrong synchronization/happens before/… and therefor wrong usage of java memory model in those tests. As the listed tests are also failing from time to time with other CPUs I’d check them and fix their concurrency, I am quite sure that something is fishy on them.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

http://www.thetaphi.de <http://www.thetaphi.de/>

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gus,

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ishan,

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Committed now.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Done both for 6.6 and 6x

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Sure Erick, please go ahead.

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Ishan:

RE: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Sounds good.  Thank you!

Re: 6.6.2 Release

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Uwe, you beat me to it (I was trying to do that myself).
I'll backport SOLR-11297 and start the release process in about 3 hours
from now.

Regards,
Ishan

RE: 6.6.2 Release