Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com> on 2001/07/24 23:58:42 UTC

Form based logon problems in T4B6

I can't get form based logon to work reliably in Beta6 (in fact I've had
problems for a while)

I have a webapp (called course) and a sub directory (gjava) which is
protected. I'm using form based logon with the username and password in
tomcat-users.xml.

i) If I try and access a resource in \course\gjava I get the logon page, if
I enter a valid username and password everything works.

ii) If I try and access a resource in \course\gjava I get the logon page, if
I enter an invalid username and password I get the logon page again - *not*
the error page.

iii) If I try and access a resource in \course\gjava I get the logon page,
if I enter a valid username and password everything works. But if I hit the
back button and then enter an invalid username/password I get redirected
here http://localhost/course/gjava/j_security_check and get a 404 error

iv) If I try and access a resource in \course\gjava I get the logon page, if
I enter an invalid username and password I get the logon page again - *not*
the error page. If I now enter the correct password I get the error page,

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

RE: Form based logon problems in T4B6

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
Thanks Craig,

> because the error page itself is inside the protected area

Ahh - a light's just come on - I see what you mean now.

I'm away from home right now - I'll be sure to try this as soon as I get
back

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
Sorry Craig,

I missed this post.

I'll try the latest nightly, if it doesn't work I'll try and create a small
web-app that shows it,

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
OK

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Kevin,

As I was fixing Bugzilla #2768 (form based login was losing the query
string when redirecting back to the original page), I tried out your
scenario using the examples app included with Tomcat:

  http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/security/protected/index.jsp

and it seemed to work correctly.  I'd be very interested in a test case
that fails on tonight's nightly build (20010725).