Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/17 16:11:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Aries (Incubating) 0.2-incubating release candidate

Hi Zoe,

Thanks again for pulling together this release.  I haven't looked at
everything yet but I've found a few things that I think require
attention before the vote can proceed.

- Error building from the tags.  I get an error attempting to build jpa
from the tag.   It's the same error mentioned on trunk by Alexandros
Karypidis on 8/13 involving a ClassNotFoundException.  I have not yet
tried the recommended patch.
- License headers:  I found the following missing license headers which
I think will require these components to be rebuilt unless a header
cannot be added into these files:
./jndi-api/src/main/java/org/osgi/service/jndi/package.html
./jndi-api/src/main/java/org/osgi/service/jndi/packageinfo

./transaction-blueprint/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/transaction/Constants.java
./application-management/src/test/resources/conversion/conversion.eba/helloWorld.war/WEB-INF/web.xml
./quiesce-manager-itest/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/quiesce/manager/itest/MockQuiesceParticipant.java
./jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence.xsd.rsrc
./jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence_2_0.xsd.rsrc
./jpa-container/src/test/resources/testProps.props
./blog/blog-persistence-jdbc/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/samples/blog/persistence/jdbc/Statements.java
./goat/goat-web/src/main/resources/web/goat/Config.js
./goat/goat-web/src/main/resources/web/goat/ConfigManager.js

I'll continue checking things.

Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Aries (Incubating) 0.2-incubating release candidate

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 - That certainly seems like the easiest thing to do if we don't want
to release goat in 0.2-incubating.

Joe

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
+1

Alasdair

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
If I recall correctly the Apache process says you must release the source and it must build. The binaries are really just provided as a convenience for users.

Alasdair

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
I might not have a complete understanding either so it would be good to
get other opinions.

I'm sure somebody will challenge me on saying that the source is the
"real content" .... perhaps a better way to say this is that everything
in the vote is important but the source that is included in the vote is
especially important.

It was my understanding that we did release the source for the
blueprint/* samples (at least they were included in the source.zip) - we
just didn't release the built images for these samples or provide any
directions.  However the source was included in the vote.

I suppose we could do the same for goat in this vote.  However I think
before we did that we should at least update the poms so that if a user
were to build this sample it would not produce 0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT
artifacts or depend upon any other SNAPSHOT that may not be available in
the future.  I don't think we have to guarantee that it will work
without issue - just that the source is clean (license issues) and it
can be built.

Joe

On 8/17/10 11:11 AM, zoe slattery wrote:
> Hi Joe - yes - this might be my misunderstanding. I thought we could do
> this because I thought that we included the blueprint/helloworld &
> idverifyer sample last time but did not provide anything to download
> from the Aries downloads page.
>
> Zoë
>> Hi Zoe,
>>
>> Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I think the only way to
>> really exclude goat from the vote is to move it to a new location -
>> perhaps samples-sandbox. I see that you did not include the built goat
>> images in the vote. However, goat is still included in the source
>> under vote:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-113/org/apache/aries/samples/samples/0.2-incubating/samples-0.2-incubating-source-release.zip
>>

>> My understanding is that the real content of any Apache vote is in the
>> source distributions and hence I think we must remove goat from that
>> distribution if it is not being released.
>>
>> Joe

>>> I wasn't planning on releasing GOAT and should have either said that or
>>> excluded it from the Samples somehow. I don't really think it's in a fit
>>> state for release (lack of documentation and tests).
>>>
>>> The Samples I think we should release are:
>>> AriesTrader
>>> Blog

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zoe,

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
This build error is strange.  I cleaned all aries items from my local
repo and rebuilt everything in the tags again and this time I did not
get the CNFE.  This is strange because I build multiple times earlier
and hit the error on each attempt building jpa.   I was hoping to
recreate the failure and then try the proposed fix.   I'll give it a try
on trunk and see how that goes.

Joe

--
Joe