Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> on 2016/11/25 22:13:54 UTC

Re: AOO-Templates

> On Oct 9, 2016, at 15:24, Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> Google's cache of a similar address to the one you give leads to
> http://templates.openoffice.org/template/download/39885 , which is probably what you need. But note that this appears to be a template for printing on a Letter-size sheet of plain paper, which you can then fold and glue into a C6 envelope with some parts already printed - which may not be what you need. If you need a template for printing a recipient's address and perhaps your return address on an existing C6 envelope, you can probably create one yourself from scratch very easily.

This may well work for envelopes depending on how your printer feeds them.  My envelope templates are for letter size paper - landscape - with margins set to the envelope area.  Mine feeds in the center but an earlier printer fed the envelope on the left.

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

If numbers aren't beautiful, I don't know what is. - Paul Erdős

Re: AOO-Templates

Posted by James Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Has it occurred to anybody else here that envelopes are just a “page style?”
In fact, it’s already a built-in choice in AOO 4.1.3.
So load one up in a new document. Fill in return address, and the primary address. Add an “ATTN:” line if it suits you. Put XXXs in the first line and last available line on the “envelope”, and print it on a blank sheet of A4 or Letter size paper. Do things fit? OK, try an real envelope. Did it work? Great! Do File -> Templates…::Save. Now you’ve got a rudimentary envelope template.

But play around with it. For business matters, you may like to include fields for the addressee, address, address2, City, State, Zip/Postal Code. These can be either User Defined fields, or they can be fields that you’ve dragged and dropped from your contacts database. This latter one is cool, because you simply View Data Sources, select your contacts data, and drag the column headers into the proper places on the envelope template. Then when you select, say Henrik Schultz, his info is propagated to all data fields in the template. (And you spell his name correctly, instead of Heinrich like you usually do.) Got those fields placed? Good. File -> Templates…::Save. Overwrite the rudimentary one. Now you’ve got a working template.

You can probably figure the rest out from here, but what you have so far will work. Remember that in AOO, styles are everything.

Jim