Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Nordmeyer <qu...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/21 13:35:26 UTC

Reporting a revoked certificate

At long last, I have tomcat configured, I have revoked certificates to
test with... my question today...

When I try using a revoked certificate, I get the lovely and
meaningful "page cannot be displayed."  So it is properly denying
access - but it doesn't provide appear to provide any other feedback
to the browser.

Is that correct, or is it configurable so it could report -
certificate revoked, or certificate invalid or something?

Re: Reporting a revoked certificate

Posted by Will Nordmeyer <qu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Will Nordmeyer wrote:

>>> Nice!

>>> What browser are you using?  This sounds like the generic IE message.

>>> Tomcat should be returning some HTTP error code like 400 Bad request, 401 Unauthorized or 403 Forbidden.  If your browser is masking it, you can see exactly what is returned by looking at the access log.  You can then override that code and provide a custom error page (like Twitter's Fail Whale).  See the <error-page> tag in web.xml for more details.
>>>
>>> One note about this.  If you are using IE, your custom error page has to be over a certain size or IE will still continue to display it's generic messages.  I believe it's 512 bytes.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>
>> Thanks Dan - which access log should I look at?  all of the tomcat
>> logs don't show anything.  I've got it configured with APR & TCNATIVE
>
> Mark and Cédric are right.
>
> Ignore my post, sorry about sending you down the wrong path.
>
> Dan

OK - I thought my answer was no luck since I didn't see anything in my
googling before running to you all.  But thought I'd ask just in case.

Re: Reporting a revoked certificate

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/12/2012 14:51, Martin Gainty wrote:

> things to check

Don't bother. This is yet more irrelevant nonsense from Martin.

Mark

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
things to check

Posted by Cédric Couralet <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Reporting a revoked certificate

Posted by Cédric Couralet <ce...@gmail.com>.

> Thanks Dan - which access log should I look at?  all of the tomcat
> logs don't show anything.  I've got it configured with APR & TCNATIVE

Hello,

I'm not sure you could get an error page. The ssl dialog takes place
before any http communication. So I don't think tomcat can send an
http response if the certificate is revoked.

You could use openssl s_client to try and connect to your server to
see what is returned from Tomcat exactly.

Cédric

Re: Reporting a revoked certificate

Posted by Will Nordmeyer <qu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 21/12/2012 13:35, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2012, at 7:35 AM, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
>
>> At long last, I have tomcat configured, I have revoked certificates
>> to test with…
>
> Nice!
>
>> my question today...
>>
>> When I try using a revoked certificate, I get the lovely and
>> meaningful "page cannot be displayed."
>
> What browser are you using?  This sounds like the generic IE
> message.
>
>> So it is properly denying access - but it doesn't provide appear to
>> provide any other feedback to the browser.
>
> Tomcat should be returning some HTTP error code

Nope.

If the SSL session is not established (and if the client cert isn't
valid there will not be an SSL session), there is no HTTP request for
Tomcat to respond to.

You'll get whatever (un)helpful message the browser decides to display.

Mark

Re: Reporting a revoked certificate

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Dec 21, 2012, at 7:35 AM, Will Nordmeyer wrote:

> At long last, I have tomcat configured, I have revoked certificates to
> test with…

Nice!