Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nate Kerkhofs <Na...@ikan.be> on 2024/03/08 11:14:57 UTC

Can I use Thymeleaf as the template engine for Struts 6?

Hi,

We have a project that we're preparing to upgrade to Java 17. It currently uses Struts 6.3 with jsp results as framework for the web interface and Spring 5.2 as framework for a REST API. We are waiting for Struts 6.4, but we also will eventually upgrade to Struts 7 once that's released, as well as Spring 6. We are also migrating our frontend from Dojo 1.16 to Bootstrap 5.3 for better support of modern browsers alongside a graphical overhaul.

We're considering also migrating from jsps to html using Thymeleaf as a templating engine. We have used Thymeleaf in a separate but related project alongside Spring Boot and we enjoyed working with Thymeleaf over the JSPs we're using in the current version with some overridden templates and Displaytag tables, so we're wondering if we can use Thymeleaf in combination with Struts 6 and eventually Struts 7. I did some preliminary Googling and while I did find some outdated and discontinued plugins for Struts 2, it's unclear whether Thymeleaf can be used with recent versions of Struts.

Is Thymeleaf usable as a template engine for Struts 6? Or are we better off looking for something else?

Kind regards,

Nate

Re: Can I use Thymeleaf as the template engine for Struts 6?

Posted by Łukasz Lenart <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thymeleaf isn't officially supported by Struts (and the Struts Devs),
yet I checked the plugin [1] which doesn't look like a rocket since.
Because of legals, the author would have to donate the plugin to
Struts. In other case you can just include the plugin's code and a new
result in your code base (it uses Apache 2.0 license)

[1] https://github.com/codework/struts2-thymeleaf-plugin