Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Amol Karnik <am...@coventor.com> on 2005/07/11 18:36:28 UTC

how do i configure access perms to certain dirs, across all branches,tags,trunk etc

hi all,

am trying to convert our repository from cvs to svn. Am using svn1.2 and
apache2.0 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0
i've got the acess files and SSL authentication all set as per the svn
book. I read the part in the book about per directory access control for
harry and sally. However, there are no examples about how to control
this for the same dir, in all the branches, tags and trunk.

for example lets say i i have  /src/gui and /src/solvers dirs in my
repository under all branches, tags and trunk so far( based on cvs2svn
conversion).
I have two dev groups : solverdev and guidev.
I want solverdev to access all dirs, but i dont want guidev to be able
to read or write to src/solvers at all.

how do i set this up using the apache access control file for svn?

maybe like this:?
===========================
[myrep:/]
@solverdev = tw
@guidev =

[myrep:/*/src/gui]
@guidev = rw
===========================

but there doesnt seem to be a way to use a wildcard in dir.....the
examples explicitly specify the branch name.

thanks for your help!

- amol karnik

Re: how do i configure access perms to certain dirs, across all branches,tags,trunk etc

Posted by Amol Karnik <am...@coventor.com>.
hi Ben,

thanks for the glimmer of hope that the svn developers are actually
aware of this and working on it! that makes me feel a little more
comfortable in switching to svn from cvs.

is it possible for your to send me a link to the relevant discussion on
the dev@  mailing list? i tried searching the archives, but was unable
to find the discussion on this. I'm very keen on keeping track of this
to see when the feature might be ready.

thanks!

amol

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Amol Karnik <am...@coventor.com>.

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

>Well, you would need to relayout your repository:
>
>/gui/trunk
>     branches
>     tags
>
>/solver/trunk
>        branches
>        tags
>
>Andreas
>

>On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 08:24:23AM -0400, Amol Karnik wrote:
>

>>hi David,
>>
>>thanks for your reply. unfortunately this wont help because i want to
>>restrict read and write access to an entire directory in the repository
>>(be in the branches or trunk or tags) to a certain users or groups of
>>users. Looks like svn cant really do this, unfortunately.
>>
>>- amol
>>
>>David Weintraub wrote:

>>>You can control read access via the .htaccess files in Apache. This is
>>>not the preferred method since these files apply to the entire
>>>subtree. See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html for more
>>>details.
>>>
>>>If you don't care about read access, but only want to control write
>>>access, use the Perl script that comes with Subversion in a pre-commit
>>>hook script.

Amol Karnik
Manager, Product Development
Coventor, Inc.
625 Mount Auburn Street
Cambridge MA, 02138

Work : (617) 497-6880 x248
Cell : (617) 304-4199
Fax  : (617) 497-6882

Email: amol@coventor.com
Web  : http://www.coventor.com

Re: how do i configure access perms to certain dirs, across all branches,tags,trunk etc

Posted by Andreas Kostyrka <an...@kostyrka.org>.

Posted by Amol Karnik <am...@coventor.com>.
hi David,

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/11/05, Amol Karnik <am...@coventor.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> am trying to convert our repository from cvs to svn. Am using svn1.2 and
> apache2.0 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0
> i've got the acess files and SSL authentication all set as per the svn
> book. I read the part in the book about per directory access control for
> harry and sally. However, there are no examples about how to control
> this for the same dir, in all the branches, tags and trunk.

You can control read access via the .htaccess files in Apache. This is
not the preferred method since these files apply to the entire
subtree. See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/htaccess.html for more
details.

If you don't care about read access, but only want to control write
access, use the Perl script that comes with Subversion in a pre-commit
hook script.

> for example lets say i i have  /src/gui and /src/solvers dirs in my
> repository under all branches, tags and trunk so far( based on cvs2svn
> conversion).
> I have two dev groups : solverdev and guidev.
> I want solverdev to access all dirs, but i dont want guidev to be able
> to read or write to src/solvers at all.
>
> how do i set this up using the apache access control file for svn?
>
> maybe like this:?
> ===========================
> [myrep:/]
> @solverdev = tw
> @guidev =
>
> [myrep:/*/src/gui]
> @guidev = rw
>
> but there doesnt seem to be a way to use a wildcard in dir.....the
> examples explicitly specify the branch name.
>
> thanks for your help!
>
> - amol karnik

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com