Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com> on 2008/04/23 15:26:40 UTC

Tomcat doesn't shutdown when amq client used within webapp

When we shut down our tomcat server the java process does not terminate and
it turns out that the culprit is a couple of threads belonging to the amq
client library.
The threads are "InactivityMonitor WriteCheck" and "InactivityMonitor
ReadCheck".

Having had a look at it there seem to be two possibilities.  Either there is
some client shutdown method we need to call which will ultimately call
InactivityMonitor.stop(), or the two threads should be daemon threads so
that they just evaporate.

I put in a change to make them daemon threads (trivial change) and tomcat
then shuts down correctly.  So, my question is, do we need this change in
AMQ or is there some shutdown call I should be making into the libraries?  I
am (as far as I can tell!) already closing all the connections we have open.

Thanks,

-Dominic

Re: Tomcat doesn't shutdown when amq client used within webapp

Posted by DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com>.
I raised jira  https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1698 1698  on
this issue which has now been marked as resolved in 5.2.0.

Posted by DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com>.
Hi Marco,
thanks for the suggestion.  I think there might be two similar but different
problems.  The jira I raised has been resolved and my immediate problem has
gone away with it.  However, I have seen a report of subscriber/listener
threads not going away on this forum as well and I wonder if your suggestion
is a way to deal with that...

-Dominic

Posted by Marco Buss <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hello,