Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by primus <va...@rocketmail.com> on 2007/12/04 04:22:07 UTC

Preventing War files from redeploying

I'm not very familiar with Tomcat, I've tried reading up on this but cannot
find an answer..that said, here is my question:

I'm in a position where I need to update single .jsp files now and then on a
production server. However if I do this and the server crashes or restarts
for some reason tomcat will redeploy the last war file and I will lose my
changes because they were not part of the last war. I do not have permission
to deploy wars. Is it possible to have tomcat not redeploy the last war and
just start up with the existing files?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I have this issue alot with
many websites, and if there is not a developer around to do a deployment,
I'm outta luck.

Thanks in advance....

RE: Preventing War files from redeploying

Posted by primus <va...@rocketmail.com>.

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: primus [mailto:vanderhoef@rocketmail.com]
>> Subject: RE: Preventing War files from redeploying
>>
>> It is a clustered environment, the war is dropped into a
>> deployment folder on the main node which distributed the war
>> to the vhost folder on both servers, the war then expands.
>
> I'm not familiar with clustered deployment; are you using something
> supplied by Tomcat to do this, or have you rolled your own?
>
>> I need it not to expand the existing war if no changes
>> have been made to the root deployment war file on restart.
>
> Sounds like you're going to need to dig into the exact details of both
> the deployment and restart mechanisms to figure this out.  It appears
> the problem is not with Tomcat itself, but rather with the
> procedures/scripts you're using to manage it.
>
>  - Chuck

I do believe your correct, thanks for your input. I'll post more if I find
anything out. We are using Tomcat Farm Deployer for the clustered
environments.

RE: Preventing War files from redeploying

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: primus [mailto:vanderhoef@rocketmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Preventing War files from redeploying
>
> It is a clustered environment, the war is dropped into a
> deployment folder on the main node which distributed the war
> to the vhost folder on both servers, the war then expands.

I'm not familiar with clustered deployment; are you using something
supplied by Tomcat to do this, or have you rolled your own?

> I need it not to expand the existing war if no changes
> have been made to the root deployment war file on restart.

Sounds like you're going to need to dig into the exact details of both
the deployment and restart mechanisms to figure this out.  It appears
the problem is not with Tomcat itself, but rather with the
procedures/scripts you're using to manage it.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

RE: Preventing War files from redeploying

Posted by primus <va...@rocketmail.com>.

primus wrote:

> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>
>>> From: primus [mailto:vanderhoef@rocketmail.com]
>>> Subject: Preventing War files from redeploying
>>>
>>> Is it possible to have tomcat not redeploy the last
>>> war and just start up with the existing files?
>>
>> Not redeploying from the .war is Tomcat's normal behavior, at least for
>> the 5.5 and 6.0 versions.  Since you're seeing something different,
>> either your Tomcat configuration or your environment is unusual.
>>
>> What Tomcat version are you using?
>>
>> What is the unpackWars attribute of the Tomcat <Host> element(s) in
>> conf/server.xml set to?
>>
>> Where are you modifying the .jsp files?  (Exact directory name, please.)
>>
>> What does the Tomcat restart process entail?  Does said process delete
>> your modified .jsp files, by any chance?
>>
>> And no, it's not a dumb question.
>>
>>  - Chuck
>>

>> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY
>> MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you
>> received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail
>> and its attachments from all computers.

> I'm running Tomcat 5.5xx.
> The unpackWars Attribute I think is set to the virtual host found at
> /var/www/vhosts/[vhost name]
> I have a clustered environment, my .jsp's are getting overwritten on a
> restart of tomcat when I move a single .jsp to whatever folder
> /[vhost]/folder/.jsp.
>
> If any of these answers do not make sense let me know and I'll try to
> correct them or get better info.

Here is more information on the deployment process being used. It is a
clustered environment, the war is dropped into a deployment folder on the
main node which distributed the war to the vhost folder on both servers, the
war then expands. Any time the war file in the deployment folder changes it
automatically deploys that war out again to both servers, if the server
crashes or restarts it redeploys the war files in the vhosts folder if no
changes have been made to the deployment folder war file. I need it not to
expand the existing war if no changes have been made to the root deployment
war file on restart.  Any ideas? Again if I'm not being clear or not
explaining something correctly let me know.

RE: Preventing War files from redeploying

Posted by primus <va...@rocketmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.