Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Eric Jain <ja...@gmx.net> on 2000/07/04 07:09:17 UTC

Strange delays

Once in a while the first page being requested by a client is delayed
by approximately 10s, even though there is no significant load on the
server. Usual delays are between 0 and 1s, rarely up to 4s (complex
database queries).

Any Ideas where to look for the cause of this?

I first thought the problem might be with the database connections.
However these same delays also happen with pages, that don't need to
connect at all...

--
Eric Jain

httpd.conf
----------

Timeout              300
KeepAlive            On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout     5
MinSpareServers      10
MaxSpareServers      20
StartServers         10
MaxClients           30
MaxRequestsPerChild  1000

startup.pl
----------

use strict;

use Apache::GTopLimit;
$Apache::GTopLimit::MAX_PROCESS_SIZE = 15000;

require BioDoc::Page;
require BioDoc::SQL;

use DBI ();
DBI->install_driver("Pg");

use CGI ();
CGI->compile(':standard');

1;

RE: Strange delays

Posted by Eric Jain <ja...@gmx.net>.
> Once in a while the first page being requested by a client
> is delayed
> by approximately 10s, even though there is no significant
> load on the
> server. Usual delays are between 0 and 1s, rarely up to 4s (complex
> database queries).
>
> Any Ideas where to look for the cause of this?
>
> I first thought the problem might be with the database connections.
> However these same delays also happen with pages, that don't need to
> connect at all...

Turning off HostnameLookups solved the problem.

--
Eric Jain

Re: Strange delays

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 07:09 04/07/2000 +0200, Eric Jain wrote:
>Once in a while the first page being requested by a client is delayed
>by approximately 10s, even though there is no significant load on the
>server. Usual delays are between 0 and 1s, rarely up to 4s (complex
>database queries).
>
>Any Ideas where to look for the cause of this?
>
>I first thought the problem might be with the database connections.
>However these same delays also happen with pages, that don't need to
>connect at all...

I used to have the same problem when I was using Apache::Session with
semaphore locking, and using another sort of locking fixed that. Are you
using semaphores ?

-- robin b.
Always remember you're unique just like everyone else.