Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com> on 2011/08/17 17:07:26 UTC

Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

I have this issue where if I have my pivot app up and lock my screen (or even
a ctrl+alt+del, followed by just hitting cancel), when I then click in the
table it highlights multiple rows.

After a little bit of playing I noticed this doesn't happen on my Windows 7
box but does on XP.  It happens in both Firefox and IE.

I'm using Pivot 1.5 but this happens even if I use the kitchen sink demo on
the pivot site, which I imagine is running 2.0?

Steps to reproduce:
1) on a XP machine launch the kitchen sink application in IE or Firefox
2) drop down the tables example
3) highlight any row
4) ctrl+alt+del and hit cancel when prompted to lock screen
5) click a few rows in the table (now you can highlight as many rows as you
want)

Does anyone else see this???
Thanks!

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
That is great news.  Ruling out browsers just made things a lot simpler.
I will reboot into XP Pro 32 shortly and try again, and will have a
look at some Windows virtual machine images tomorrow.

I *might* be able to knock up a quick Pivot app that just shows the
state of the keyboard, but I can't promise anything as I have a
sizeable TODO list already, and every minute I spend on Pivot is
another minute that I am not looking for a job.  It *would* be useful
for troubleshooting purposes though, so is probably worth the effort
if I can fit it in.

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
I just disabled the Welcome Screen to *enable* the CTRL+ALT+DEL
keystroke to bring up the Windows Security dialog with the choice to
lock the screen, log off, shutdown, change password, cancel or launch
Task Manager.

I still can't replicate on Windows XP Pro x64 using
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/kitchen-sink.html
or
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
>> 2) Is the browser/applet side of things relevant?
>> Is there any chance you can try to replicate the issue using these
>> demos (and the same XP machine you used for the other tests), but
>> running them as desktop apps rather than applets from
>> http://pivot.apache.org/ ?
>
> *I will try this and get back to you.
Great.  I will soon be stopping for the night, but can follow up
tomorrow or whenever you are able to post some more of your findings.

> Are you running on an XP VM?  What happens when you do a ctrl+alt+del?*
I'm running XP Pro x64 on a real PC, but have VMware images for
Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro SP3 (32bit) & Win 7 (64 bit).  (It is
amazing the licenses you accumulate just buy replacing PCs every few
years)

With VMware workstation, CTRL+ALT+DEL will be processed by the host
(the real PC) as well as the virtual machine.  It prompts you about
this and provides a mapping of CTRL+ALT+INSERT that will send
CTRL+ALT+DEL to the virtual machine.  That is why I wondered about it
before.

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com>.
> 1) Is this limited to Windows XP (and a certain service pack) or can
> it be replicated on other Windows versions?
> Windows 2000
> XP 32/64 bit
> Vista 32/64 bit
> Win7 32/64 bit

*Tried on multiple XP nodes with same results, mine is:
XP Professional Version 2002, SP3 32bit

On Windows 7 machine (Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit)
So I tried it here and sometimes it happens here.  I can't figure out why
only sometimes, I'm trying to make it reproducable but no luck so far.  I
can never make it not happen on XP though.*

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
On 18 August 2011 01:12, JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am not using a virtual windows installation, just a standalone windows xp
> development box.
That was just a wild card that I wanted to rule out, so no problems there.

> I do not have any other browsers to test here, I don't have privedges to
> install opera or chrome.  I could maybe try at home.
OK, not a problem.  The more tests on different OSes, PCs, browsers &
JREs the better, regardless of whether they are home or work PCs.  For
instance if you have colleagues who *cannot* replicate this on their
work PCs, then that might tell us something useful.

> Ok so here is what I did with the component explorer: (I verified the issue
> doesn't happen when selectMode is single)
> 1. Turned off ComponentMouseListener
> 2. Changed to selectMode MULTI
> 3. Selected a row
> 4. Cleared Event Log
> 5. Ctrl+Alt+Del and cancel
> 6. Selected a new row (now two rows selected) and Here is my log:
> ComponentStateListener focusChanged [...TableView, null]
> ComponentKeyListener keyPressed [...TableView, 17, RIGHT]
> ComponentKeyListener keyPressed [...TableView, 18, RIGHT]
> ComponentStateListener focusedChanged [...TableView, null]
> ComponentStateListener focusedChanged [...TableView, null]
> *TableViewSelectionListener selectedRangeAdded [...TableView, 14, 14]*
> ComponentMouseButtonListener mouseDown [...TableView, LEFT, 311, 268]
> ComponentMouseButtonListener mouseUp [...TableView, LEFT, 311, 268]
> ComponentMouseButtonListener mouseClick [...TableView, LEFT, 311, 268, 1]
>
> So I think you are absolutely right that pivot thinks the ctrl key is still
> pressed because when its behaving it fires this instead:
> *TableViewSelectListener selectedRangesChanged [...TableView, ...]*

Thanks for taking the time to follow up with this.   We seem to be
making some progress but there are still a few things to confirm or
rule out.

1) Is this limited to Windows XP (and a certain service pack) or can
it be replicated on other Windows versions?
Windows 2000
XP 32/64 bit
Vista 32/64 bit
Win7 32/64 bit

(It might be possible to replicate on other OSes too)

[...]

3) Is this a Pivot issue or one that can be replicated with non-Pivot
Java apps (assuming the issue is a 'stuck' CONTROL key)
i.e. is the JVM seeing the CONTROL key as pressed, or is it just Pivot
seeing it that way
This can probably be investigated after 2) if the 'stuck' key theory
still seems viable.

The most important thing is to be able to reliably replicate the issue
in order to try to fix it (assuming there is something to fix).

Chris

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
On 22 August 2011 17:43, Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The important thing is that I can also replicate it on very simple Swing &
> AWT apps, so this is *NOT* just a Pivot issue.
> Ok, so maybe a good idea coyuld be even to open an issue in Oracle for Java
> 6 ... John or someone, have you got time to do it ? Thanks.

I will post a (non-Pivot) test app to this list when I get back to my
dev machine.  Hopefully others will also be able to use it to
reproduce the issue,

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

>The important thing is that I can also replicate it on very simple Swing &
AWT apps, so this is *NOT* just a Pivot issue.
Ok, so maybe a good idea coyuld be even to open an issue in Oracle for Java
6 ... John or someone, have you got time to do it ? Thanks.

>I have an idea for a workaround/fix, but no time to try it out just now.
Very good, so maybe we could mark it as a workaround,and remove later
if/when fixed in Java ...

>In the mean time, perhaps try searching the web to see if you can find any
reports of similar issues.
>Please let us know if you do find any.
Right.

Bye

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Sorry - no time for a long email right now.

I can reproduce on Windows XP Pro x64 too, but again, only with the
right sided ALT key.  (I don't have nearly enough time to start
digging into regional & keyboard settings) Also, I haven't tried
Windows 7 yet.

Pivot does consider the CONTROL key to be pressed once it receives
focus following the cancellation of the Windows dialog raised by
CTRL+ALT+DEL.  That is why you see this behaviour on multi select
TableViews and ListViews.

The next keypress that Pivot receives (regardless of which Pivot
Component receives it) will reset the internal keyboard modifier
states, which is the equivalent of releasing the CONTROL key.

The important thing is that I can also replicate it on very simple
Swing & AWT apps, so this is *NOT* just a Pivot issue.  I have an idea

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
I've been too busy to follow up with this today, but will try again tomorrow.

Have you managed to investigate any further or try to replicate on other OSes?

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Sandro - I will try to take a look at those tests tomorrow.

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

Your thoughts? Thanks

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
Could you try with the ComponentExplorer demo?
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html

1) Expand the 'Tables' node in the left hand TreeView
2a) Select the 'TableView' node
2b) Attempt to replicate using CTRL+ALT+DELETE followed by 'cancel'
(This should help to determine if it still occurs in SINGLE select mode)

3a) Change the 'selectMode' property from 'SINGLE' to 'MULTI' in the
Properties Tab/form in the upper right corner of the app.
3b) Attempt to replicate using CTRL+ALT+DELETE followed by 'cancel'
(This should confirm that the issue can be replicated with this applet
and a TableView that is in MULTI select mode like the ones in
KitchenSink)

It would be great if you could keep an eye on the 'Event Log' Tab in
the lower left of the app, to see what ComponentKeyListener events and
ComponentMouseButtonListener events are fired.

There will be a lot of events shown, but many will not be relevant, so
the best thing would be to un-check most of the listeners in the Tree
that is part of the Event Log.
The ones that might provide useful info are
- ComponentKeyListener
- ComponentMouseButtonListener
- ComponentStateListener
- TableViewSelectionListener

Unfortunately, there is no built in mechanism to log the events to a
file, so even if you are able to do the above, it might be hard to
communicate what you see.   Recording a screen cast might also be
useful, but the CTRL+ALT+DELETE might well cause the software to stop
recording at the crucial time.

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.
On 17 August 2011 23:01, JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Can you clarify a few things (listed inline) to help in trying to
>> reproduce this?
>> The title of the email refers to 'focus', but the body of the email
>> doesn't seem to mention focus.  Does this behaviour also occur if you
>> simply focus on another Windows application, and then return to the
>> browser showing the Pivot applet?
>
> *So I have not gone through debugging the Pivot code but it appears as
> though it may be a focus issue, but I'm not sure.  No, this does not occur
> when focus changes to another application and back to the pivot app.*

That makes it sound like perhaps it is something weird happening with
the keyboard.
Maybe something like CONTROL key from CONTROL+ALT+DELETE 'sticking' or
seeming to stick from Pivot's perspective.

>> On 17 August 2011 22:07, JohnRodey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Do you see the same effect if you use WINDOWS+L to lock the screen?
>
> *No, it appears to behave fine when I use Windows+L.  I don't even
> technically lock my screen but when I press ctrl+alt+del I get a Windows
> security window that asks me what to do (Lock Computer, Log Off, Shut Down,
> Change Password, Taask Manager, Cancel), from here I just have to hit cancel
> and I see the pivot issue.*

OK, so maybe the screen locking part is a red herring and it is more
to do with CTRL+ALT+DEL handling?
Are you are using a non-virtualised XP installation?
ie, a normal install of XP on a PC rather than an installation into a
virtual machine of some kind.

>> Can you provide some version numbers for these browsers, as well as
>> java version?
>
> *Firefox 3.6.13
> IE 8.0.6001.18702
> Java 1.6.0_22*
Great, that gives us something to compare against.
Any chance that you could try with Chrome or Opera or another other browser?

>> > 5) click a few rows in the table (now you can highlight as many rows as
>> you
>> > want)
>> Do you mean that you see multiple rows being selected/highlighted
>> (depending on your meaning of highlighted)?
>> Both of the TableViews in the KitchenSink demo are configured in multi
>> select mode, so multiple selections are allowed.  However the
>> selection should only be changed to include/exclude the clicked row if
>> the CONTROL key is pressed, or a range of rows if SHIFT is pressed.
>
> *Yes I see multiple rows being selected, now i can cause multiple rows to go
> blue bg with white lettering, and I am not holding shift or ctrl.  It
> behaves as if I were holding ctrl though.
>
> Here's another wierd thing I'm seeing, once I cause this issue and am
> selecting multiple rows, if I hit any button on my keyboard it goes back to
> normal.  If I hit the letter 'a' or the space bar it stops selecting
> multiple and returns to normal. *
That makes me think it is even more likely to be something keyboard related.

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com>.
Just to offer a little more information:
When I try the same thing using the Lists examples in the kitchen sink:

Editable and Checked examples work fine.
Multiselect and Image examples behave like the table.

I'm assuming this is because those two are configured to allow for multiple
items to be selected and the other two are not.  But none-the-less here is
another example to test.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
John thanks for the info, I'll try as soon as possible, even with latest
Pivot sources (2.0.1 near final now) and tell you something.

Bye,
sandro

Re: Strange focus issue on Windows XP with tables

Posted by JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the fast response and for your help.  This issue has been
happening for a while and has finally gotten to me.  See my responses below.

> I just tried some quick tests on Windows XP 64 SP2 with recent
> versions of IE, FF, Chrome & Opera using the Oracle 1.6.0_26 JRE.
> I was unable to reproduce, but was only able to lock the screen using
> WINDOWS+L.

> Can you clarify a few things (listed inline) to help in trying to
> reproduce this?
> The title of the email refers to 'focus', but the body of the email
> doesn't seem to mention focus.  Does this behaviour also occur if you
> simply focus on another Windows application, and then return to the
> browser showing the Pivot applet?

*So I have not gone through debugging the Pivot code but it appears as
though it may be a focus issue, but I'm not sure.  No, this does not occur
when focus changes to another application and back to the pivot app.*

> On 17 August 2011 22:07, JohnRodey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have this issue where if I have my pivot app up and lock my screen (or
> even
> > a ctrl+alt+del, followed by just hitting cancel), when I then click in
> the
> > table it highlights multiple rows.
> Do you see the same effect if you use WINDOWS+L to lock the screen?

*No, it appears to behave fine when I use Windows+L.  I don't even
technically lock my screen but when I press ctrl+alt+del I get a Windows
security window that asks me what to do (Lock Computer, Log Off, Shut Down,
Change Password, Taask Manager, Cancel), from here I just have to hit cancel
and I see the pivot issue.*

> > After a little bit of playing I noticed this doesn't happen on my
> Windows 7
> > box but does on XP.  It happens in both Firefox and IE.
> Can you provide some version numbers for these browsers, as well as
> java version?

*Firefox 3.6.13
IE 8.0.6001.18702
Java 1.6.0_22*

> > Steps to reproduce:
> > 1) on a XP machine launch the kitchen sink application in IE or Firefox
> > 2) drop down the tables example
> > 3) highlight any row
> Can you please clarify 'highlight'?  Pivot TableViews render rows
> differently depending on selection as well as mouse position (mouse
> over highlighting).
> Do you mean 'move the mouse over a row so that the row is highlighted
> in a grey colour'?
> Or maybe, 'left click on a row to select it so that it is rendered
> with a blue background and white foreground (when it has focus)'?

*Sorry, left click and select a row so that it is blue with white
lettering.*

Posted by Chris Bartlett <cb...@gmail.com>.

On 17 August 2011 22:07, JohnRodey <ti...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have this issue where if I have my pivot app up and lock my screen (or even
> a ctrl+alt+del, followed by just hitting cancel), when I then click in the
> table it highlights multiple rows.
Do you see the same effect if you use WINDOWS+L to lock the screen?

> After a little bit of playing I noticed this doesn't happen on my Windows 7
> box but does on XP.  It happens in both Firefox and IE.
Can you provide some version numbers for these browsers, as well as
java version?

> I'm using Pivot 1.5 but this happens even if I use the kitchen sink demo on
> the pivot site, which I imagine is running 2.0?
Correct, the website is running 2.0