Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jason <ja...@etherhost.com> on 2000/09/13 20:27:47 UTC

How can I tell if Apache::ASP is available?

This is the output of my httpd -l command .. how can I tell if Apache::ASP
is available?

[admin admin]$ httpd -l
bash: httpd: command not found
[admin admin]$ /usr/sbin/httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_perl.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/sbin/suexec
[admin admin]$

Re: How can I tell if Apache::ASP is available?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"G.W. Haywood" wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Jason wrote:
>
> and fetch the page with a browser.
>
> If you put
>
> PerlSetVar debug 2
>
> in your httpd.conf then you'll get heaps of irritating (sorry Josh:)
> output from ASP if it's doing anything.

Debug -2 is when its irritating.  Debug 2 is for friendly
HTML error messaging with compile time and runtime errors.

--Joshua

Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA

Re: How can I tell if Apache::ASP is available?

Posted by "G.W. Haywood" <ge...@www.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi Jason,

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Jason wrote:

> This is the output of my httpd -l command ..

ASP is a perl module, it's not in the output of httpd -l.

> how can I tell if Apache::ASP is available?

Do you mean if it's in your filesystem somewhere, or if it's been
loaded by mod_perl, or if you've configured it correctly?

If all are true then just put something in an html file like this:
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Title</TITLE>Heading stuff.</HEAD>
<BODY>
<% my $variable = 'This is produced by ASP.'; $>
This is ordinary HTML text.
<%= $variable %>
</BODY>
</HTML>

and fetch the page with a browser.

If you put

PerlSetVar debug 2

in your httpd.conf then you'll get heaps of irritating (sorry Josh:)
output from ASP if it's doing anything.

73,
Ged.

Re: How can I tell if Apache::ASP is available?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
"Victor Michael D. Blancas" wrote:

> > This is the output of my httpd -l command .. how can I tell if Apache::ASP
> > is available?
>
> you can't from http -l. Apache::ASP is not an apache module but a perl
> module.  try 'perldoc Apache::ASP' if you see the documentation then
> Apache::ASP was properly installed.
>
> another thing, you will not be able to run microsoft asp implementation on
> Apache::ASP.  as of the moment it just gives an easy way of embedding perl
> code directly into html so that you can still use your favorite html
> editor without it mangling your perl code.
>
> if your purpose in installing Apache::ASP is to run real microsoft asp
> pages, then your going the wrong direction.  only NT/2000 with IIS will be
> able to serve asp pages.

ASP - Active Server Pages, is a Microsoft API for web scripting,
application development.  VBScript is the primary language
for that platform, however there is a PerlScript plugin
available which Apache::ASP is fairly compatible with.

If an application is writtin for IIS/PerlScript, however unlikely,
then the port will be much easier to Apache::ASP.

--Joshua

Re: How can I tell if Apache::ASP is available?

Posted by "Victor Michael D. Blancas" <mi...@iconverge.com>.
> This is the output of my httpd -l command .. how can I tell if Apache::ASP
> is available?

you can't from http -l. Apache::ASP is not an apache module but a perl
module.  try 'perldoc Apache::ASP' if you see the documentation then
Apache::ASP was properly installed.

another thing, you will not be able to run microsoft asp implementation on
Apache::ASP.  as of the moment it just gives an easy way of embedding perl
code directly into html so that you can still use your favorite html
editor without it mangling your perl code.

if your purpose in installing Apache::ASP is to run real microsoft asp
pages, then your going the wrong direction.  only NT/2000 with IIS will be
able to serve asp pages.

> [admin admin]$ httpd -l
> bash: httpd: command not found
> [admin admin]$ /usr/sbin/httpd -l
> Compiled-in modules:
>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
>   mod_perl.c
> suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/sbin/suexec
> [admin admin]$

Mike