Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jaeho Shin <ne...@sparcs.kaist.ac.kr> on 2002/09/17 22:09:17 UTC

Korean custom error messages in Apache 2.0

Hi all,

I'm interested in sharing my Korean version of custom error pages in
Apache 2.0.

I've found a message from the archive posted a few months ago about
starting a Korean translation of the custom error msgs, but
unfortunately I couldn't find any more info about that effort.

Anyway, my translations were done in early April, but had no time to
submit them till now. I will first attach a draft gzipped patch in UTF-8
format for docs/error files of 2.0.40 distribution.

I'm not very sure now about, how to make Korean fit into the ISO-8859-1
encoding (which sounds quite crazy). Actually there wasn't a charset
problem in the early versions of Apache 2.0, since it just used dumb
HTML and I could specify the character set in the Content-Type of the
.var file. But while merging my old error files with 2.0.40, I found out
that the error pages are now written in XHTML, which is HTML on top of
XML that has the Horrible character set problem. :(

I can see translations in about five languages or so in the custom error
pages. But they are all based on Latin characters which ISO-8859-1 or
HTML Character Entities covers. Any characters of Korean or Japanese,
Chinese or some other sophisticated languages are absolutely not defined
in ISO-8859-1 nor HTML Entities. Thus we can't put a single character in
the error pages, even before we begin the translation.. :(

I guess, many things could be easy and straightforward if the error
pages use UTF-8 charset, though it could be a harm to non-Unicode-friendly
browsers.

Anyhow, I would like to know what exactly I should do to commit my
translations.

--
netj | Jaeho Shin | ����ȣ ; http://netj.org/
System Programmers' Association for Researching Computer Systems

Re: Problems with Korean custom error messages

Posted by Jaeho Shin <ne...@sparcs.kaist.ac.kr>.
On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 05:20:17PM +0200, Erik Abele (erik@codefaktor.de) wrote:
> Hi Jaeho,
>
> thanks for your contribution, but while I was on the way committing
> this, I encountered some problems with it.
>
> It seems that the generated HTTP output headers are missing the charset
> which is set in the type-map file ('Content-type: text/html;
> charset=EUC-KR'). Therefore the error-page isn't displayed with the
> desired charset in the browser.
>
> This of course only happens if no AddDefaultCharset is used in the conf;
> otherwise the  configured default charset will show up in the returned
> Content-Type header (e.g. 'Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1').

Oh, I've never noticed that the charset in the type-map wasn't working.
I guess I was focusing only on those generated HTML pages too much.

> Hmmm. perhaps we should take this over to the dev-list. Joshua, what do
> you think about this? Am I missing something here? Any ideas appreciated...
>
> BTW, saving one of Jaeho's patched files in a single ssi-enabled doc
> without the type-map stuff (for example named korean.shtml.euc-kr),
> results in a correctly displayed page with the correct charset-headers.

I think korean.shtml.euc-kr stuffs would make the error directory really
dirty. The Korean error pages aren't urgent at all, so it would be
better to wait for mod_negotiate to be fixed, and maintain the error
directory clean. :)

--
netj | Jaeho Shin | 신재호 ; http://netj.org/

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
André Malo wrote:
> * Erik Abele wrote:
>
> [missing charsets of typemap bodies]
>
>>Hmmm. perhaps we should take this over to the dev-list. Joshua, what
>>do you think about this? Am I missing something here? Any ideas
>>appreciated...
>

> I sent a patch for mod_negotiation several weeks ago there (yes, with a
> reminder later), but it wasn't noticed anyway... Should I try once
> again? ;-)
>
> nd

Hi Andre,

I'm playing with the source of mod_negotiation right now. When
explicitly setting the calculated charset in r->content_type everything
works fine. Probably someone forgot this...

I don't know your patch, but if it roughly does the same, please
re-submit it ;-)
It definitely shouldn't be too much to review for someone :-)

thanks,
Erik

Re: Problems with Korean custom error messages

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
André Malo wrote:
> * Erik Abele wrote:
>
> [missing charsets of typemap bodies]
>
>>Hmmm. perhaps we should take this over to the dev-list. Joshua, what
>>do you think about this? Am I missing something here? Any ideas
>>appreciated...
>

> I sent a patch for mod_negotiation several weeks ago there (yes, with a
> reminder later), but it wasn't noticed anyway... Should I try once
> again? ;-)

Yep.  You should keep sending the patch until you get some feedback.
Just make sure you are polite about it.

Joshua.

Re: Problems with Korean custom error messages

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Erik Abele wrote:

[missing charsets of typemap bodies]
> Hmmm. perhaps we should take this over to the dev-list. Joshua, what
> do you think about this? Am I missing something here? Any ideas
> appreciated...

I sent a patch for mod_negotiation several weeks ago there (yes, with a
reminder later), but it wasn't noticed anyway... Should I try once
again? ;-)

nd
--
my @japh = (sub{q~Just~},sub{q~Another~},sub{q~Perl~},sub{q~Hacker~});
my $japh = q[sub japh { }]; print join       #########################

Problems with Korean custom error messages

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
Jaeho Shin wrote:

> Well a few days ago, I've upgraded my Apache to 2.0.42, and found that
> each translations in the custom error pages have started to use their
> own charset and language codes. So I appended my Korean messages to them
> in EUC-KR and added some charset and language code settings. Everything
> looks fine now. Well, the error/*.var files will get uglier and uglier
> as Japanese and Chinese or other languages get added to them, since
> nobody will be able to see all the translations correctly in a single
> charset/encoding. But anyhow, it's not bad for users. :)
>
> I'll attach my new patch for 2.0.42.
> Just do the patch from the parent directory of the error directory.

Hi Jaeho,

thanks for your contribution, but while I was on the way committing
this, I encountered some problems with it.

It seems that the generated HTTP output headers are missing the charset
which is set in the type-map file ('Content-type: text/html;
charset=EUC-KR'). Therefore the error-page isn't displayed with the
desired charset in the browser.

For example when requesting a non-existent document with an
returned but without any charset definition in the returned Content-Type
header-field:

GET /nonsense HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.100.201

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 14:45:54 GMT
Server: Apache/2.0.44-dev (Unix)
Vary: accept-language,accept-charset
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Transfer-Encoding: chunked

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="EUC-KR"?>
<head>
<title>°?Ã? ?øÀ?!</title>

Re: Korean custom error messages in Apache 2.0

Posted by Jaeho Shin <ne...@sparcs.kaist.ac.kr>.
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 08:49:49PM +0200, Jan Faerber  (aon.964605784@aon.at) wrote:

> [...]

Hi! Glad to see your feedback.

Well a few days ago, I've upgraded my Apache to 2.0.42, and found that
each translations in the custom error pages have started to use their
own charset and language codes. So I appended my Korean messages to them
in EUC-KR and added some charset and language code settings. Everything
looks fine now. Well, the error/*.var files will get uglier and uglier
as Japanese and Chinese or other languages get added to them, since
nobody will be able to see all the translations correctly in a single
charset/encoding. But anyhow, it's not bad for users. :)

I'll attach my new patch for 2.0.42.
Just do the patch from the parent directory of the error directory.

Thanks.

--
netj, Jaeho Shin ; http://netj.org/

Posted by Jan Faerber <ao...@aon.at>.