Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2014/04/07 16:57:45 UTC

JIRA usage: Bug vs. Improvement vs. New Feature

In the
'[DISCUSS] Bugs-only strictness for bugfix releases' thread, Mike Drob
brought up the concern that the definitions of "bugs", "improvements"
and "new features" may be ill-defined.

I provided one explanation for how I was interpreting those in that
thread, which I won't duplicate here, for brevity.

JIRA has some views also, which I think are similar to what I've outlined:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DEV/JIRA+usage+guidelines

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: JIRA usage: Bug vs. Improvement vs. New Feature

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
The JIRA default issue type, in my browser, actually appear to be the
last one I selected (probably saved in a cookie). "Bug" might be the
default if no previous issue type had been selected, though.

Personally, I'd prefer this field be blank, but required, for new
issues, regardless of previous issue type selected. That way, the
reporter is forced to consider which category it fits in. I'm not sure
JIRA can be modified to enforce that, though.

I don't have a strong opinion about the rest... but fixVersion is
probably useful to leave on the creation screen, because we don't have
a good triage system in place to effectively schedule fixes right
away. Ideally, component leads would be in charge of scheduling fixes
for their respective component, but I don't think we're mature enough
for that yet (though, the project is becoming more modularized to
enable that at some point in the future).

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.