Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/23 14:36:58 UTC

Migrating our wiki

I can't take it any longer ... our (MoinMoin) wiki [1] is so slow that
it's almost unusable. For reading / browsing it's still more or less
okay, but for editing it's not. It takes almost 5 minutes for me to
save any change.

We're not the first to run into this: in INFRA-12283 [2] a similar
complaint was reported for the Hadoop wiki. The recommendation seems
to be to move to the confluence wiki, which is recommended and
supported by infra [3].

So I'd like us to move to cwiki.apache.org. I can spend some time on
this (but help is of course very welcome, especially reviewing /
re-markup'ing migrated pages (different wiki syntax)).

I thought I'd simply start with asking infra for a new confluence
space, and then start migrating our existing pages one by one (first
importing them as-is, and converting them to the new wiki syntax in a
second pass). Unless someone knows of a (semi-)automatic way to
migrate / convert to the new wiki syntax?

Thoughts?

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/subversion
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12283 (Really slow to
save changes to wiki.apache.org)
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12342 (Request for
Information: Wiki Recommendations?)

--
Johan

Re: Migrating our wiki

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 23.10.2016 16:36, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> I can't take it any longer ... our (MoinMoin) wiki [1] is so slow that
> it's almost unusable. For reading / browsing it's still more or less
> okay, but for editing it's not. It takes almost 5 minutes for me to
> save any change.
>
> We're not the first to run into this: in INFRA-12283 [2] a similar
> complaint was reported for the Hadoop wiki. The recommendation seems
> to be to move to the confluence wiki, which is recommended and
> supported by infra [3].
>
> So I'd like us to move to cwiki.apache.org. I can spend some time on
> this (but help is of course very welcome, especially reviewing /
> re-markup'ing migrated pages (different wiki syntax)).
>
> I thought I'd simply start with asking infra for a new confluence
> space, and then start migrating our existing pages one by one (first
> importing them as-is, and converting them to the new wiki syntax in a
> second pass). Unless someone knows of a (semi-)automatic way to
> migrate / convert to the new wiki syntax?
>
> Thoughts?

Last time this came up, there was apparently some indication from Infra
that at least a semi-automated way to convert the pages was available.
May be worth following up?

-- Brane

Re: Migrating our wiki

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Filed the ticket:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12818 (MoinMoin wiki
> extremely slow)
>
> This issue has turned out very well. Infra has worked its magic, and
> our MoinMoin wiki is fast again! In fact, I think it's faster now than
> it ever was before :-).

Hat tip to Daniel Gruno. Moin has this unfortunate habit of scanning
*every* registered user when saving a page. With 1.7M spam accounts ...
well, you can see the issue :-)

He moved moin to a box with SSDs for faster I/O and nuked all inactive
accounts. Win!

(moin has been hitting Infra with downtime, so this *also* helps us, in
addition to all moin users; just needed somebody/time to dig into the "why")

Cheers,
-g

Re: Migrating our wiki

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 2:37 AM, Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I prefer moin to confluence (less overhead, no js requirement, etc etc).
>>>
>>> So I think it'd be nice if we could stick to moin but fix the
>>> performance situation.
>>>
>>> What's infra's position on this?  Is moin supported, or not?  Would
>>> a bug about "moin performance is unacceptable" be fixed?
>>
>> I have no idea. But it's worth a try (having a performant moin wiki
>> would be the least work for us at this time), so I'll file a ticket.
>> If infra won't fix the performance, we can ask for help doing the
>> (semi-)automatic migration from there.
>
> Filed the ticket:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-12818 (MoinMoin wiki extremely slow)

This issue has turned out very well. Infra has worked its magic, and
our MoinMoin wiki is fast again! In fact, I think it's faster now than
it ever was before :-).

So, no need to spend time migrating. We can all be merry, go to
https://wiki.apache.org/subversion and start editing / adding useful
content :-).

--
Johan