Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Kumaresan, Vinodh" <vi...@merck.com> on 2008/09/23 16:33:23 UTC

File Error in Excel file while using POI.jar

Hi,

I am using POI.jar file to generate an Excel file from my Java based web
application. When I opened the Excel file, for each sheet its showing a
dialog box which has the information "File Error: Data may have been
lost". When I click the ok button a cell which contains data is being
replaced by the value "1024".

We have Microsoft Patch named "Microsoft Office Professional Edition
2003, Security Update for Excel 2003(KB951548):EXCEL". When I removed
the above patch, I was no more able to find the "File Error: Data may
have been lost" error. When contacted Microsoft about the issue, they
suggested to check with 3rd party about the resolution.

I tested with the latest version of POI.jar which is 3.1 but still
received the same error.

Can anyone please let me know to get rid of the above issue.

Thanks,
Vinodh

New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
then delete it from your system.

Re: File Error in Excel file while using POI.jar

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Nick,

>> We have Microsoft Patch named "Microsoft Office Professional
>> Edition 2003, Security Update for Excel 2003(KB951548):EXCEL". When
>> I removed the above patch, I was no more able to find the "File
>> Error: Data may have been lost" error. When contacted Microsoft
>> about the issue, they suggested to check with 3rd party about the
>> resolution.
>
> Sounds like Microsoft changed something unhelpful with that patch.
> Were they able to tell you what they did change?

This security update came in early August and addresses several remote
code execution. With this security update Microsoft has tightened up
several areas:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms08-043.mspx

Excel Indexing Validation Vulnerability - CVE-2008-3004
http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-3004

Excel Index Array Vulnerability - CVE-2008-3005
http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-3005

Excel Record Parsing Vulnerability - CVE-2008-3006
http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-3006

Excel Credential Caching Vulnerability - CVE-2008-3003
http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-3003

I don't know which "vulnerability" fix the OP is tripping over/

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.