Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Nick S Kanakakorn <bb...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/28 08:15:07 UTC

can't bootstrap new node

I have a 3 nodes cluster with replication factor = 3.  I'm testing a
complete node failure scenario.  Here is my work flow.

1. Bring down node #3.  We'll simulate that this node has failed.
2. Bring up a new node #4 with different IP address.  Set bootstrap = True.
 Start cassandra.

The 4th did not complete the bootstrap.  It got stuck at this log message

 INFO [main] 2010-12-23 16:37:24,527 StorageService.java (line 475) Joining:
getting bootstrap token

I tested the same scenario with replication factor=3 using 4 nodes
cluster. I simulated the 4th node failure while there 3 nodes were still
alive.  I was able to bootstrap the 5th node without any problem.

I suspect that the number of live nodes before the bootstraping has to be
more than replication factor.  Am I wrong ?  Is there anyway around this ?

Nick K