Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Luta, Raphael (VUN)" <Ra...@groupvu.Com> on 2003/08/06 17:40:43 UTC

RE : RE : JSR-168 Article Part 1 in JavaWorld

De : Gerry Reno [mailto:grenoml@yahoo.com]

> Hi Raphael,
>
> --- "Luta, Raphael  (VUN)" <Ra...@groupvu.Com> wrote:
> >
> > If I understand correctly your request in regards to the
> > JSR 168, you would like to be able to develop a client based portal
> > that leverages the portlet components developped against the JSR168
> > API. Is that correct ?
> >
> > I think that what you can do in this case is implementing
> > a portal "server" on the client, with client side technologies that
> > interact with a remote portlet container over the network,
> for example
> > through WSRP. In such a setup, your client can control exactly the
> > aggregation behavior and still leverage any JSR 168 portlets through
> > WSRP.
> >
> > Since JSR 168 assumes a server-based aggregation process,
> it can not
> > answer alone your requirement but OTOH I don't think it's a
> > showstopper since WSRP will perfectly handle this requirement.
> >
> > Am I missing something here ?
> >

>   Are you suggesting that in order to accomodate client-side
> technologies that a browser plugin 'portal server' would be
> necessary?
> Users would reject this outright.  I really don't see how
> this would solve the problem.  It is the whole interaction
> model that is the problem, not where the 'portal server' lives.

No, I don't think you need a plug-in, you just need to write
in Javascript the code that will actually aggregate the content on
the client instead of aggergating on the server.
In such a model, you're really back to standard client/server model
where most of the intelligence is on the client. Such a process flow
could be:

clients open up 2 frames/iframes/windows (1 of which is hidden from the
user with a 0 size or whatever trick you fancy):

1st frame loads from HTTP server the JS/applet code that will be the
portal server and starts displaying the portal page
The JS code fetches the PSML (or equivalent) information from the
portal server and loads it into the second frame, then it parses the
XML information through DOM and activates remote portlet through
WSRP as needed.
If you need to save information to a remote server (liek storing user
preferences), you can do it either through HTTP POST or directly with
a SOAP request.

--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

Vivendi Universal - HTTP://www.vivendiUniversal.com:
material of Vivendi Universal which is for the exclusive use of the
individual designated above as the recipient. Any review, retransmission,
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact immediately
the sender by returning e-mail and delete the material from any computer.
If you are not the specified recipient, you are hereby notified that all
disclosure, reproduction, distribution or action taken on the basis of this
message is prohibited.