Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org> on 2005/10/22 01:03:03 UTC

oom exceptions on os x

i'm experimenting with the bdb persistence manager and am running into
an issue where many of my unit tests throw OOM exceptions.

i'm running on os x with java 1.4.2 and je 2.0.83. i see in the release
notes (<http://www.sleepycat.com/je_update/2.0.83/relnote.2.0.83.html>)
that i need to specifically set the je.maxMemory property in the
je.properties file.

i further read in the je docs that je.properties goes in the
"environment home" dir, so i created je.properties with
"je.maxMemory=268435456" and put copies into
<repository>/workspaces/homedir and <repository>/version.

having done these things, my unit tests still fail with the same number
of OOMs. i must be missing something, but i can't figure out what it
might be. any suggestions?

thanks!

Re: oom exceptions on os x

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

> the correct "environment home" directory would be
>
> <repository>/workspaces/<workspace>/db   (for the individual workspaces)
> <repository>/version/db   (for the version store)

hm, putting je.properteis in those dirs didn't seem to help. i'll follow
up on the je list and let you know what i learn. thanks!

Re: oom exceptions on os x

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:

> the correct "environment home" directory would be
>
> <repository>/workspaces/<workspace>/db   (for the individual workspaces)
> <repository>/version/db   (for the version store)

ah... i thought from reading the bdb pm that the env home
dir was the parent of the db dir. i'll give this a shot,
thanks :)

Re: oom exceptions on os x

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi brian

On 10/22/05, Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org> wrote:

> i'm experimenting with the bdb persistence manager and am running into
> an issue where many of my unit tests throw OOM exceptions.
>
> i'm running on os x with java 1.4.2 and je 2.0.83. i see in the release
> notes (<http://www.sleepycat.com/je_update/2.0.83/relnote.2.0.83.html>)
> that i need to specifically set the je.maxMemory property in the
> je.properties file.
>
> i further read in the je docs that je.properties goes in the
> "environment home" dir, so i created je.properties with
> "je.maxMemory=268435456" and put copies into
> <repository>/workspaces/homedir and <repository>/version.

the correct "environment home" directory would be

<repository>/workspaces/<workspace>/db   (for the individual workspaces)
<repository>/version/db   (for the version store)

cheers
stefan