Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Andreas Pardeike <an...@pardeike.net> on 2004/10/09 19:29:29 UTC

Getting started on WSAD

Hi,

I have to use Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries together
with an Websphere Application Server. I can't get the simplest
helloworld
project building & deploying. Either it builds fine but does not deploy
(i.e. I get a library not found error from the servlet) or it does not
build.

Can anyone give me some simple steps to get project up and running? From
there, it seems easy to continue because I got tapestry running on a
second machine with with Eclipse, Tomcat and Spindle and I found it
rather
easy to use and develop with.

Help!
Andreas Pardeike

Re: Getting started on WSAD

Posted by Luc Peerdeman <lj...@xs4all.nl>.
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Pardeike wrote:

>> - give web project the tapestry nature, repair web.xml if wsad does
>> not understand it anymore after this step
>

> Should I have it add the libraries at this step or not?

No, I think you need to add them to either the webcontent/web-inf/lib or
ear root.

>> - if you prefer, copy all tapestry libs to the ear and set jar
>> dependencies (in the web project) to point to them
>

> Where should those go. "to the ear" is too abstract.

To the root of the ear project.

> Is there any better way. Maybe more strategic or more common in some sense?

Anybody correct me if I am wrong: in webcontent/web-inf/lib is ok
because only the web layer will use the libs. If you plan to have
multiple tap web apps under one ear and want them to use the same
tapestry version, the ear root is better.

Another thing is convenience (read: lazyness): when they are in the ear
adding a tapestry web app is easier because you don't have to do the
copying of the jars.

Cheers, Luc.

Re: Getting started on WSAD

Posted by Andreas Pardeike <an...@pardeike.net>.
On 9 okt 2004, at 20.01, Luc Peerdeman wrote:

> - of course install spindle, should be 3.0 final (3.0.53) which is the
> last one to work on wsad 5.1 / eclipse 2.1
> - create web project and containing ear project using WSAD
> - maybe test if you can build/deploy this web project
> - give web project the tapestry nature, repair web.xml if wsad does
> not understand it anymore after this step

Should I have it add the libraries at this step or not?

> - if you prefer, copy all tapestry libs to the ear and set jar
> dependencies (in the web project) to point to them

Where should those go. "to the ear" is too abstract. This is the part
where I have the most trouble. I don't know if the libs go into the web
project or into the ear project (and where exactly).

> - build and deploy
>
> I might have forgotten something but I think this is basically it. You
> might want to scan the Spindle list for more detailed help.

I did. Not much more info there. Meanwhile, I got it working but I am
in doubt if this is the right way. Here's what I did: I copied all libs
via drag'n drop into the WebContent/WEB-INF/lib folder of the web
project. I then opened the project properties and went to "Java Build
Path" and checked all checkboxes in front of the libs that are now
listed under "Order and Export".

Is there any better way. Maybe more strategic or more common in some
sense?

Andreas

Re: Getting started on WSAD

Re: Getting started on WSAD

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andreas, I see you found the list!

As expected, there are Tapestry users who are familliar with
Tapestry/Spindle in WSAD. (Which is good as I don't use WSAD!).

Enjoy!

Geoff