Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Greg Chakmakian <gr...@healant.com> on 2001/04/18 17:48:45 UTC

setting up tomcat and apache to run together

Bear with me, I know you all have probably already been through this one
before.  I have Apache (for Darwin/Mac OS X) and Tomcat 3.2.1.  They both
run great by themselves; apache on port 80 and tomcat on 8080.  I want to
setup the two so that if I go to a jsp page on Apache it will use tomcat to
process the jsp pages; i.e - http://www.apache.org/test.jsp gets processed
by tomcat even though its being access through apache.  I know I can turn
off apache and reconfigure tomcat so that it runs off of port 80, but I
would rather do it the other way.  Like I said, I know this has probably
been discussed and I apologize for being repetitive.  I couldn't find any
information on how to do this.  Any help or direction you all could give
would be greatly appreciated.
-greg
Healant
Web Developer
greg@healant.com
healantgreg@aol.com
336-370-0604  x111

Re: setting up tomcat and apache to run together

Posted by "Noel E. Lecaros" <sp...@mozcom.com>.
Hi, Greg

Take a look at the  Tomcat Documentation Page  and look under the entry
"Integrating Tomcat with a Webserver."  There are links there on how to
do this for Apache, IIS, and Netscape.  The instructions, however, are
Windows- and UNIX-specific, so you might have to take it from there for
MacOS X.

Cheers,
Noel Lecaros

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
The document you want to consult is the Tomcat-Apache howto which should be under the tomcat/doc directory of the tomcat install. Basically you end up including a file generated by tomcat in your apache's httpd.conf, and sticking mod)jk.so where apache can load it from (e.g. libexec). The online version of this doc is at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/tomcat-apache-howto.html

Although your best of going straight to:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/mod_jk-howto.html

as the Tomcat-Apache how-to confuses things by saying "Don't use Jserv. Heres how you use Jserv"

sam

Posted by Benoît Jacquemont <be...@smile.fr>.
Why does nobody wants to read the HowTo-files ??? Tomcat 3.2.1 comes with
three VERY usefull files which are :
tomcat-apache-howto.html
and
Tomcat-Workers-HowTo.html
and
mod_jk-howto.html

These files are also on the jakarta.apache.org website, so why don't you
want to read this howto... They have been designed to be read ! A lot of
people spent nights to write them (;-) ), so, please take a look at them...
If you want, I can even send them to you...

Benoît

Posted by Hunter Hillegas <li...@lastonepicked.com>.
Greg-

There is quite a bit of documentation on using Tomcat with Apache. You need
to use mod_jk with Apache to redirect the requests. Look up the docs, I
think you¹ll figure it out.

Good choice of platform BTW. :-)

Hunter