Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca> on 2003/11/20 17:36:35 UTC

Development Environment suggestions ?

So far I have been playing around like the Neanderthal*
that I am. I use Sun Java 1.4.x with xterm, vi, emacs and
occasionally Jedit when I feel modern urges.

Peter has mentioned Eclipse and I have used VisualAge for
Java, and either NetBeans or the Sun form thereof.

Is there a path to enlightenment (excuse the trollish tone)
therein ? Given that FOP can be installed and started in
TBI (The Bash IDE), are there other graphical IDE's with a
reasonable learning curve ?

I have both Win98 and RH9 available to me. The RH box
has more resources in addition to having the usual Linux
advantages.

* Is that term Politically Correct ?  Would it be offensive to
Europeans ? I myself am descended from Celts and probably
some Angles, Jutes and Saxons. Dunno about Picts.

--
When I showed my mother an Anglican Church with the sign:
"Angle Parking Only", she asked "What about the poor Jutes and Saxons

John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca>

Re: Development Environment suggestions ?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I love Eclipse despite little deficiencies:

- I constantly use Eclipse's CVS functions and the only problem I
experience is my difficulty with the merge function which can sometimes
be troublesome.
- Missing remove trailing spaces function.
- NPE in PDFWArray inside Eclipse (don't know whether that's because of
Checkstyle or Eclipse)

Some pros on the other side:
- Good refactoring support
- Excellent plugins available (for Checkstyle, for example)
- doesn't cost much :-)

What are your remaining problems with Eclipse? Only the Ant thing or
something else? Just curious. IMO the changes I've done to FOP's
directory structure should have fixed all problems inhibiting working in
Eclipse. I do the code generation part outside Eclipse using "ant
codegen" and include the "build\gensrc" directory with the generated
sources inside Eclipse.

On 21.11.2003 20:09:05 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> John Austin wrote:
>
> > Peter has mentioned Eclipse and I have used VisualAge for
> > Java, and either NetBeans or the Sun form thereof.
>
> Eclipse is good enough, open source, and available for most
> Unixish platforms. Using the Eclipse CVS for dealing with
> FOP may prove to be a bit more difficult then it ought to
> be (also due to CVS and FOP peculiarities), I resorted to
> the CVS CLI.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Development Environment suggestions ?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
John Austin wrote:

> Peter has mentioned Eclipse and I have used VisualAge for
> Java, and either NetBeans or the Sun form thereof.

Eclipse is good enough, open source, and available for most
Unixish platforms. Using the Eclipse CVS for dealing with
FOP may prove to be a bit more difficult then it ought to
be (also due to CVS and FOP peculiarities), I resorted to
the CVS CLI.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Development Environment suggestions ?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> So far I have been playing around like the Neanderthal*
> that I am. I use Sun Java 1.4.x with xterm, vi, emacs and
> occasionally Jedit when I feel modern urges.

[snip]

> * Is that term Politically Correct ?  Would it be offensive to
> Europeans ?

I (living in Mönchengladbach, less than 40 km from Neandertal)
wouldn't mind.  But then again I use XEmacs, bash or ksh and Ant (of
course) for all my development (and mail reading and TeX writing and
coffee making and cooking and ... ;-)

Stefan

Re: Development Environment suggestions ?

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
I've been quite happy with JEdit for most
everything--FOP and non-FOP the past 18 months.  It's
speedy and efficient.  Printing is not always the best
with it though, especially when there is syntax
highlighting within the source file.

Glen

--- John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> So far I have been playing around like the
> Neanderthal*
> that I am. I use Sun Java 1.4.x with xterm, vi,
> emacs and
> occasionally Jedit when I feel modern urges.

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

RE: Development Environment suggestions ?

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.

If you have a few bucks, you can't beat IntelliJ IDEA. I have used VisualAge
and NetBeans, and also JEdit, vi and emacs, but IntelliJ has them all beat
hands down.

> Is there a path to enlightenment (excuse the trollish tone)
> therein ? Given that FOP can be installed and started in
> TBI (The Bash IDE), are there other graphical IDE's with a
> reasonable learning curve ?

IntelliJ is fairly easy to pick up.

> I have both Win98 and RH9 available to me. The RH box
> has more resources in addition to having the usual Linux
> advantages.

As another poster mentioned, upgrade from Win98. Win98 has limited GDI
resources (that is, the amount of memory for actual windows, visible or
invisible), so is a PITA for serious development.

> * Is that term Politically Correct ?  Would it be offensive to
> Europeans ? I myself am descended from Celts and probably
> some Angles, Jutes and Saxons. Dunno about Picts.

As I understand it, Neanderthals were as smart as us Cro-Magnons. :-)

AHS