Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Christian <ch...@bt.net> on 2015/06/01 14:25:56 UTC

Third party VR / L2 support

Hi Sebastien,

Thank you for publishing the roadmap.

> Replace VR with h/w (srx, asa etc)

A question for all - What are the implications of expanding this feature
to support s/w appliances, such as the ASA/CSR 1000V ?

This is something that I have been implementing manually to date because:

> Improve VR, VR agent, API for VR   :)

It involves a little bit of 'creative networking' in order to suppress the
CS virtual router. Any improvements in this area would be very useful.
Even a QuickCloudNoServices-like offering for isolated networks would be
great. I¹m aware that this can be created manually, but I¹m not convinced
that this is a supported configuration.

Pushing this concept further, I¹d like to see support for Layer 2 isolated
networks. I use these for running virtual L2 devices under CS simply by
creating dummy IP address ranges and ignoring them. Again, I have to
suppress the VR, because it¹s not needed at L2.

I¹ve been doing a fair bit to push the limits of networking in CloudStack
over the last year using just VLANs and the standard API calls . I¹m happy
to answer any questions anyone may have.

Best regards,

-Christian

--
Christian Lafferty
<ch...@bt.net>

RE: Third party VR / L2 support

Posted by Rajesh Battala <ra...@citrix.com>.
Your views are correct in managing the 3rd party VRs
I see people try to use external devices to provide network services if they see VR cannot handle the performance or stability or if the admin thinks third party providers can do well w.r.t their environment.

In current cloudstack, CloudStack VR is the only option to be on Data Path and majority of network services can be delegated to third party.

Am looking at how NetScaler can be leveraged to be a VR in CloudStack.

Thanks
Rajesh Battala

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Hey Fozzielumpkins (love it),

Yes, Iets agree to agree!

Regards,

Paul Angus
Cloud Architect

Posted by Funs Kessen <fu...@barred.org>.
Hi Paul,

RE: Third party VR / L2 support

Re: Third party VR / L2 support

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 12, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Christian <ch...@bt.net> wrote:

> Thank you all for your views and comments. I agree with everything said
> when it is positioned under today’s business-as-usual cloud compute.
> Perhaps I should put some context around my thoughts.
>
> NFV is coming and the world is looking to deliver solid cloud networking
> solutions over the next couple of years. 90% of what I am hearing in this
> area revolves around OpenStack. I’m trying to put the case forward for
> using CloudStack.
>
> Yes, I can use sheer force of will to bend CloudStack into shape. I can
> ignore its insistence on using IP addresses for everything and tap
> straight into VLANs. I can also use kludges to suppress the virtual router
> and remove unwelcome DHCP services. However, I have to declare that I am
> doing these things when I present the case for CloudStack and this weakens
> my argument.
>
> There are some quick wins here that would help greatly in positioning
> CloudStack as a contender for running virtualised network appliances.
> Having a checkbox that flags a virtual network as Layer 2 (no IP
> addresses) would be one of them. Officially supporting a ‘No virtual
> router’ option within a Network Offering would be another.

Christian, I totally agree with you.
I was on the OPNFV mailing list couple months back and openstack was the only game in town.

So how do we get those quick wins going ?
Do you have code to make it happen and are looking for guidance to put them in the source ?
If you have to code for it, I can show you how to contribute it.

Or are you looking for other devs to do it ?

A starting point might be to describe those quick wins in a bit more details on the wiki as a Feature request:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Home

If you create an account I can give you the writes to create a page.

Let's keep this conversation going.

thanks,

-sebastien

Re: Third party VR / L2 support