Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@googlemail.com> on 2008/02/21 16:20:28 UTC

Migrate from Hibernate3 to Cayenne :) ?

Since the "migration" is the motto these days :) , I would like to know if
there's a trick to quickly
migrate a Hibernate3 application to Cayenne(can be JPA too).

I'm talking about this application:
http://subetha.tigris.org/

Subetha looks cool, just that H3 + JBoss makes it an overkill for most
users :).

If it could run on Cayenne, I think it would be *the show* application to
convince people to switch :) .

I would highly appreciate any ideas,

Demetrios.

Re: Migrate from Hibernate3 to Cayenne :) ?

Posted by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@googlemail.com>.

>>> JPA is a subset of EJB3 spec. So the annotations are EJB3. Our
>>> implementation of the JPA provider is still in alpha though.
>>>
>> If it's still alpha, wouldn't a concrete application that already
>> works be a
>> better "trial bench" ?
>
> Sure. Anybody's free to try such migration.

I'll try to capture the migration steps in the following document (but that
depends
if I'm able to go forward in the process):
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg7fx8s_3dswz6hch
(at the moment, it contains only the used hibernate list of annotations)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Feb 23, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Demetrios Kyriakis wrote:

>> JPA is a subset of EJB3 spec. So the annotations are EJB3. Our
>> implementation of the JPA provider is still in alpha though.
>>
> If it's still alpha, wouldn't a concrete application that already
> works be a
> better "trial bench" ?

Sure. Anybody's free to try such migration. Speaking for myself, I can
answer questions and work on fixing bugs in Cayenne provider found in
the process.

Andrus

Re: Migrate from Hibernate3 to Cayenne :) ?

Posted by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@googlemail.com>.

Andrus Adamchik wrote:

>> How similar is the Cayenne JPA annotation pack to the EJB3/
>> Hibernate3 ?
>
> JPA is a subset of EJB3 spec. So the annotations are EJB3. Our
> implementation of the JPA provider is still in alpha though.

If it's still alpha, wouldn't a concrete application that already works be a
better "trial bench" ?
The mentioned application works very well in production:
http://subetha.tigris.org/files/documents/3713/37647/SubEtha-1.0.2.zip

Andrus Adamchik wrote:

>>> I would like to know if
>>> there's a trick to quickly
>>> migrate a Hibernate3 application to Cayenne(can be JPA too).
>
> That depends on the application. I don't think there is a single
> answer that fits all cases. My feeling is that migration of the
> mapping and persistent objects should be more or less straightforward.
> The rest depends on how the UI/Service layers are coded.

I understad, but I mean in the example mentioned in the parent thread
(http://subetha.tigris.org/source/browse/subetha/)
I think SubEtha it's the only java based mailing list manager available.

Thank you,

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Demetrios Kyriakis <de...@googlemail.com>.