Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Michael Giannakopoulos <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/29 21:50:52 UTC

About source code and eclipse

Hello guys,
I would like to ask a general question. I have downloaded the
geronimo-3.0-M1 source code. Also i have installed in eclipse the web tools
and the geronimo plugin so as to be able to create a new server project in
eclipse... When i click New->Other->Project->Server a window appears that
asks me to choose a server. I choose Geronimo v3.0 Server and then i click
next button. Then the wizard asks for an Application Server Installation
Directory which i cannot find... I have done mvn clean install to the source
files of geronimo-3.0-M1 but i cannot find anywhere the Apache Geronimo v3.0
installation... Any thoughts??? I'm using linux ubuntu 10.04... Thank you in
advance!

Giannakopoulos Michael

Re: About source code and eclipse

Posted by han hongfang <ha...@gmail.com>.
What GEP expects is exactly the unpacked geronimo build. Specify the
directoy where unpacked build locates when the wizard asks for an
Application Server Installation Directory.

--
Best regards,

Han Hong Fang (Janet)
hanhongfang AT apache.org

Re: About source code and eclipse

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Michael,

I don't really know what GEP expects, however....

when you build geronimo with maven it just puts together and installs into your local maven repo a lot of artifacts, including several server assemblies.  In order to get a usable server you need to unpack one of them into a convenient location.  The assemblies that are likely to be useful are all build under assemblies.  What I usually do is just unpack the one I'm interested in right in the target folder,

e.g.

cd assemblies/geronimo-jetty8-javaee6
tar xzf geronimo-jetty8-javaee6-3.0-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz

There is also a geronimo-maven-plugin that you can use to unpack assemblies, start the server, deploy apps, etc.  We use this in a lot of integration tests mostly under testsuite.

hope this helps
david jencks