Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Maclin Kallat <ma...@boxsolutions.com> on 2011/04/20 19:06:37 UTC

Installations problem with Couchdb

Hi,

I have installed Couchdb 1.0.1 from source

wget
http://mirrors.enquira.co.uk/apache//couchdb/1.0.1/apache-couchdb-1.0.1.tar.gz
wget http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R14B.tar.gz

I also have the Erlang 5.8.1 installed.

I can start Couchdb properly but am unable to check it using curl:

Here are the commands:

sudo -i -u couchdb couchdb -b
Apache CouchDB has started, time to relax.
curl localhost:5984
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

What could be possibly going wrong?
How can I diagnose this or check errors somewhere about whats missing?

Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Maclin

Re: Installations problem with Couchdb

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
The INSTALL.unix files don't mention it, but at least on debian/ubuntu
you also need to change the permissions and ownership of
/usr/local/lib/couchdb and I usually do the same on
/usr/local/share/couchdb.

To check my permissions are setup properly, I run:
find /usr/local -name couch\* -type d -exec ls -ld {} \;

and that will show you all the dirs in /usr/local for couchdb and make
it easy to find the one with bad permissions.

-Russell

Posted by "Paul J. Davis" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maclin Kallat <ma...@gmail.com>.

Visit us at www.boxsolutions.com