Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> on 2014/06/02 14:04:47 UTC

Re: PyLucene 4.8.0 - samples/FacetExample.py appears broken

Am 30.05.2014 um 23:08 schrieb Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>:

> Thanks Thomas !
> Once you do that maybe it's time to make a 4.8.1 release too.
> Let me know when you're ready with a fix.

TLDR;  fix is available: I've now revised the FacetExample.py to use the new API - it's tested to work with pylucene-4.8.0-1
The source can be found here:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4384120/Python/FacetExample.py
Andi, can you please update the file in the repo? thanks.

details:  I should correct myself. The FacetExample was 'ported' to 4.x (with new fully qualified imports) already.
However in Java Lucene Release 4.7.0 [2014-02-26] some API Changes did break the code:
LUCENE-5339: The facet module was simplified/reworked to make the APIs more approachable to new users.

Note: when migrating to the new API, you must pass the Document that is returned
      from FacetConfig.build() to IndexWriter.addDocument().
      (Shai Erera, Gilad Barkai, Rob Muir, Mike McCandless)
see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5339 for details!
(This was really a good and needed simplification of the Facet API!)

Some notes for those interested in facet search in Lucene:

- there are some Java samples available with Lucene Java, e.g.
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene_solr_4_8/lucene/demo/src/java/org/apache/lucene/demo/facet/SimpleFacetsExample.java
  (which I took as a reference)

- back in 4.4 there was some good documentation (besides Javadocs) - the "Apache Lucene Faceted Search "User's Guide
 http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_4_0/facet/org/apache/lucene/facet/doc-files/userguide.html

I can't find it for more recent versions though and according to Changelog it was removed with 4.5 because it's outdated:
LUCENE-4894: remove facet userguide as it was outdated. Partially absorbed into
             package's documentation and classes javadocs.
             (Shai Erera)
(still think it's partially useful introductory reading though...)

- developer hint:

whereas in Java you can write
 doc.add(new FacetField("Publish Date", "2010", "10", "20"));
  here "Publish Date" is the 'dimension'
  and "2010", "10", "20" is the 'path'

in Python you need to declare the path as an array argument:
 doc.add(FacetField("Publish Date", ["2010", "10", "20"]))

Java introduced 'varargs' feature to pass unspecified number of argument to a method in JDK 5.0.
Python can do similar by using the *args which can be passed a list of arguments - as positional arguments.
Seems however JCC does for some (probably good) reason not map Java varargs to python *args.

regards,
Thomas

Re: PyLucene 4.8.0 - samples/FacetExample.py appears broken

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, Thomas Koch wrote:

> Am 30.05.2014 um 23:08 schrieb Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>:
>
>> Thanks Thomas !
>> Once you do that maybe it's time to make a 4.8.1 release too.
>> Let me know when you're ready with a fix.
>
> TLDR;  fix is available: I've now revised the FacetExample.py to use the new API - it's tested to work with pylucene-4.8.0-1
> The source can be found here:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4384120/Python/FacetExample.py
> Andi, can you please update the file in the repo? thanks.

Done, it's in trunk revision 1599384.
Thank you !

ANdi..

Posted by Eduard Rozenberg <ed...@pobox.com>.
Hello Thomas,

Thanks for the update on the facets! I just tested this
with my PyLucene 4.8.0 and can confirm it works great:

Indexed 2 documents with facets.

search by term 'white' ...
Categories:  1
 'root' (2)
Root-a-Categories:  3
 'f1' (2)
 'f2' (1)
 'f3' (1)
Author:  2
 'Bob' (1)
 'Lisa' (1)

search by term 'car' ...
Categories:  1
 'root' (1)
Root-a-Categories:  2
 'f1' (1)
 'f2' (1)
Author:  1
 'Bob' (1)

search all documents  ...
Categories:  1
 'root' (2)
Root-a-Categories:  3
 'f1' (2)
 'f2' (1)
 'f3' (1)
Author:  2
 'Bob' (1)
 'Lisa' (1)

Best regards,
—Ed

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, Andi Vajda wrote:

>> On Jun 2, 2014, at 2:04, Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 30.05.2014 um 23:08 schrieb Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Thanks Thomas !
>>> Once you do that maybe it's time to make a 4.8.1 release too.
>>> Let me know when you're ready with a fix.
>>
>> TLDR;  fix is available: I've now revised the FacetExample.py to use the new API - it's tested to work with pylucene-4.8.0-1
>> The source can be found here:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4384120/Python/FacetExample.py
>> Andi, can you please update the file in the repo? thanks.
>>
>> details:  I should correct myself. The FacetExample was 'ported' to 4.x (with new fully qualified imports) already.
>> However in Java Lucene Release 4.7.0 [2014-02-26] some API Changes did break the code:
>> LUCENE-5339: The facet module was simplified/reworked to make the APIs more approachable to new users.
>>
>> Note: when migrating to the new API, you must pass the Document that is returned
>>      from FacetConfig.build() to IndexWriter.addDocument().
>>      (Shai Erera, Gilad Barkai, Rob Muir, Mike McCandless)
>> see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5339 for details!
>> (This was really a good and needed simplification of the Facet API!)
>>
>> Some notes for those interested in facet search in Lucene:
>>
>> - there are some Java samples available with Lucene Java, e.g.
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene_solr_4_8/lucene/demo/src/java/org/apache/lucene/demo/facet/SimpleFacetsExample.java
>>  (which I took as a reference)
>>
>> - back in 4.4 there was some good documentation (besides Javadocs) - the "Apache Lucene Faceted Search "User's Guide
>> http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_4_0/facet/org/apache/lucene/facet/doc-files/userguide.html
>>
>> I can't find it for more recent versions though and according to Changelog it was removed with 4.5 because it's outdated:
>> LUCENE-4894: remove facet userguide as it was outdated. Partially absorbed into
>>             package's documentation and classes javadocs.
>>             (Shai Erera)
>> (still think it's partially useful introductory reading though...)
>>
>> - developer hint:
>>
>> whereas in Java you can write
>> doc.add(new FacetField("Publish Date", "2010", "10", "20"));
>>  here "Publish Date" is the 'dimension'
>>  and "2010", "10", "20" is the 'path'
>>
>> in Python you need to declare the path as an array argument:
>> doc.add(FacetField("Publish Date", ["2010", "10", "20"]))
>>

>> Java introduced 'varargs' feature to pass unspecified number of argument to a method in JDK 5.0.
>> Python can do similar by using the *args which can be passed a list of arguments - as positional arguments.
>> Seems however JCC does for some (probably good) reason not map Java varargs to python *args.
>
> Thank you, Thomas, for the fix and explanations. There is no reason for
> JCC not to support Java's varargs feature other than it hasn't been
> implemented so far.

I've now done a first pass at adding support for Java varargs in JCC by
reconstructing the last-args array the Java method actually expects during
Python->Java argument parsing.
This is checked into svn trunk rev 1599407.

I tested this new feature with FacetExample.py. I removed all 'unnecessary'
arrays and the sample still works !

This could use a bit of testing...

Andi..

Re: PyLucene 4.8.0 - samples/FacetExample.py appears broken

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.