Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org> on 2006/04/21 09:25:27 UTC

Marking deprecated with since tags

Hi

I have started marking every @deprecated in our code with since tags.

(And removing @deprecated items introduced in 1.7, so things introduced
in 1.7 and already markted deprecated)

For instance changed

* @deprecated Use getGlobalFilterSet().addFilter(token,value)
* @deprecated since 1.4.x Use getGlobalFilterSet().addFilter(token,value)

Is this seen as useful.

And how do you look at the proposal to drop the deprecated since 1.4.x
in 1.7?

Would it be ok to start dropping items deprecated in 1.5.x and 1.6.x in 1.8?

Martijn

Re: Marking deprecated with since tags

Posted by jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl.
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Kev Jackson wrote:

>>  * @deprecated since 1.4.x Use getGlobalFilterSet().addFilter(token,value)
>>
>>  Is this seen as useful.
>>
>>  And how do you look at the proposal to drop the deprecated since 1.4.x in
>>  1.7?
>>
> +1
> There's a fair bit of old code that has been deprecated for a while - I
> seriously doubt that users are going to suddenly update from Ant 1.3 to Ant
> 1.7 and expect all their builds to work.
>
> Kev

This is not about normal users of ant, but of 3pp using the code of ant,
for instance to provide ant tasks. If someone made an Ant task on 1.3 it
continues to function until we remove these items. So it could very well
be that the user is using this task originally designed for ant 1.3,
rebuild by someone else against ant 1.6.5 (ignoring the deprication
warnings), gets intro trouble.

otoh if we never can clean up anthing...

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Martijn Kruithof wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have started marking every @deprecated in our code with since tags.
>
> (And removing @deprecated items introduced in 1.7, so things
> introduced in 1.7 and already markted deprecated)
>
> For instance changed
>
> * @deprecated Use getGlobalFilterSet().addFilter(token,value)
> * @deprecated since 1.4.x Use getGlobalFilterSet().addFilter(token,value)
>
> Is this seen as useful.
Yes, this is useful if we do enforce a policy of removing stuff which
has been deprecated across 2 or 3 major releases.
You might want to test to see how the generated javadoc looks like with
these texts.

> And how do you look at the proposal to drop the deprecated since 1.4.x
> in 1.7?

I am not sure. I do not know which concrete methods are deprecated since
1.4x. I think that a list of what would concretely go away plus a vote
would be necessary.
I was previously working for a large European software company. When we
upgraded from Ant 1.4 to Ant 1.6, there was only one API
incompatiblitity which we had to solve.
Because we still used Ant 1.4 to build old releases of our applications,
we had to build one adapter for the class (I think it was Zip or
ZipOutputStream) where the signature of a method had changed.
> Would it be ok to start dropping items deprecated in 1.5.x and 1.6.x
> in 1.8?

Do not know either.
> Martijn

Antoine

Re: Marking deprecated with since tags

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I have started marking every @deprecated in our code with since
> tags.
>
> Is this seen as useful.

Yes.

> And how do you look at the proposal to drop the deprecated since
> 1.4.x in 1.7?

No.

As Gump shows us there a tons of open source projects in wide-spread
use which haven't been touched in years (still don't stand the
slightest chance to compile on Java5, for example).  Removing
deprecated stuff from Ant means that a project that built fine on Ant
1.6.5 suddenly stops building in 1.7.

Stefan