Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Paco Avila <pa...@git.es> on 2006/06/08 09:55:52 UTC

modifying a versionable node

I've set several nodes in my repository using mix:versionable. It is
possible to modify a node property without doing the chekout / checkin
process or this process is mandatory?

--
Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>

Re: modifying a versionable node

Posted by Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>.
El jue, 08-06-2006 a las 10:51 +0200, Tobias Bocanegra escribió:
> > > the checkin/checkout process is the principal mechanism in versioning.
> > > for example, you can't modify a file directly on a SVN server, you
> > > need to do a checkout first.
> >
> > If the user A performs a checkout(), the user B can modify this node? If
> > this is true, the user B can do a checkin before the user commits its
> > changes.
>
> versioning is not the same as locking. when a 'user' (i.e. the
> session) does a checkout, the node is not locked, or owned by that
> user. when the node is checkedin, it's content gets copied into the
> version store and it becomes read-only. if you need locking, use
> Node.lock().
>
> maybe the chapters 8.2 (versioning) and 8.4 (locking) of the jsr170
> specification could also help you.

Yes, I'm reading this chapters but I didn't understant well the
repository behaviour with the previous two user case.

Thanks again.

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
> > the checkin/checkout process is the principal mechanism in versioning.
> > for example, you can't modify a file directly on a SVN server, you
> > need to do a checkout first.
>
> If the user A performs a checkout(), the user B can modify this node? If
> this is true, the user B can do a checkin before the user commits its
> changes.

versioning is not the same as locking. when a 'user' (i.e. the
session) does a checkout, the node is not locked, or owned by that
user. when the node is checkedin, it's content gets copied into the
version store and it becomes read-only. if you need locking, use
Node.lock().

maybe the chapters 8.2 (versioning) and 8.4 (locking) of the jsr170
specification could also help you.

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97

Re: modifying a versionable node

Posted by Paco Avila <pa...@git.es>.
El jue, 08-06-2006 a las 10:23 +0200, Tobias Bocanegra escribió:
> hi paco,
> once, the node is checked-in, it's read-only. if you need to modify
> it, you need to do a checkout before. but, if you don't need to
> checkin the node, if you don't want to.

Ok.

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
hi paco,
once, the node is checked-in, it's read-only. if you need to modify
it, you need to do a checkout before. but, if you don't need to
checkin the node, if you don't want to.

the checkin/checkout process is the principal mechanism in versioning.
for example, you can't modify a file directly on a SVN server, you
need to do a checkout first.

regards, toby