Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz> on 2012/04/20 23:20:47 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Mac homebrew now has couchdb 1.2.0

Woo Homebrew!! http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_OSX updated.

I recommend upgrading erlang (and other pre-requisites) for better
performance, and specifically for erlang, line numbers in error
messages.

For the lazy:

    brew remove --force openssl erlang couchdb icu4c spidermonkey nspr
    brew update
    brew install erlang --no-docs
    brew install couchdb

& you're done.

======
For the pedants:

There are still some edge cases where the erlang VM seems to die, on
Lion only. This is largely transparent to couchdb users as the couch
shell script wraps erlang and restarts automatically. It was first
reported by Filipe, and Paul, Benoît & Bob have helped me with this
over time.

I've not been able to narrow down why this happens & how to fix it,
but you might be able to help;

references:
https://gist.github.com/2219748
https://gist.github.com/1199903

```
brew erlang --no-docs
cd /tmp && curl -#LO https://raw.github.com/gist/2219748/erlbork.erl
erlc +debug_info erlbork.erl
erl -run erlbork

## & in another term I usually open
lldb process attach -n beam.smp
```
and wait

You'll get this independent of erlang version. The code's highly
contrived to to restart erlang continuously while running md5_init.

If you
Moving to openssl 1.0.1 *noticeably* reduces the frequency of this
failure (for me) but I can't see how this is apparent in the output I
get from lldb, other than the erlang code is only calling md5_init
repeatedly.

To use erlang with openssl 1.0.1:
    brew remove --force erlang openssl
    # in openssl.rb, update the openssl url and comment out the sha
    # in erlang.rb, add a depends_on "openssl"
    brew install erlang --no-docs

and wait again.

Insights very welcome!
Dave

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Mac homebrew now has couchdb 1.2.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Awesome work, great effort Dave. Thanks for seeing this through!

Jan

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.