Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mapred Learn <ma...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/12 11:07:52 UTC

Upload files directly to hdfs from standard out using pipes

Hi,
I found out that :
https://github.com/cloudera/hue/blob/master/desktop/libs/hadoop/src/hadoop/fs/hadoopfs.py

can be used to write data directly to HDFS without writing to a local
filesystem but I am not able to understand how.

Could somebody tell me how can I do this ? Or is there some other best way to do it ?

Basiclly my use case is to pipe standard out from a program directly
to HDFS so that it does not have to go through the disk write.

Thanks in advance !

Re: Upload files directly to hdfs from standard out using pipes

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.
1. Run map-only (no reducer) job.  Output goes directly to hdfs.
or
2. echo abc | hadoop dfs ­put - /user/knoguchi/somefile
   would write to hdfs reading from stdin.

Koji