Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Dave Irving (Delcam)" <da...@delcam.com> on 2010/12/20 13:22:56 UTC

Write storage question.

I am working with large files - i.e. lots of data file > 2Gb in size, in some instances.
I need to extract a 3Mb file from this large compound file, then modify it and write it back into the
compound file WITHOUT having to re-write any of the other storages.

Is this possible.???

My requirement is to...

1)  get the stream for a known location storage.
2)  read this storage, and modify it.
3) write the storage back.
4) update the properties to state when the file was modified.

I do not want to have to load the whole system into memory, in order to write back the one relatively small storage/stream.

I can read the file using the Event driven read process, but from the documentation it looks like I have to create a new compound file
then copy everything from the old one to the new one to effectively alter the one storage.

Does anyone have an example of doing the above

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave Irving

Re: Write storage question.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Dave Irving (Delcam) wrote:
> I am working with large files - i.e. lots of data file > 2Gb in size, in some
> instances.
> I need to extract a 3Mb file from this large compound file, then modify it
> and write it back into the
> compound file WITHOUT having to re-write any of the other storages.

At the moment, this isn't possible. However, I'm in the middle of some
POIFS work to reduce the memory footprint, and when that work's done it
ought to be possible to do this. I'd suggest you join the dev list, and
watch the commits list. Hopefully it'll become possible in the new year
when the work is done

Nick