Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2008/01/11 10:59:23 UTC

Workday

Hi all,

I recently had an exchange with Vikrant Rathore about new accounting efforts. I think it is worth to be reported, here it is

Vikrant : Have a look at http://www.workday.com/ I would prefer to implement finance in their way not the traditional ERP way.

Me : What is so specific in their offer apart it's an ASP ?

Hi Jacques,

In financial component they combined 5 major parts of Finance:
1. GL Management (ofbiz is still working on to implement it)
2. Reporting (both statutory and financial management related)
3. Auditing
4. Budgeting and tracking.
5. Asset Management.

Normally none of the Financial Management system itself comes close to it. As you have to buy separate software to do it. Besides
this the way they presented the whole solution is more business oriented then technical jargon oriented which is what most ERP's do.

So I feel there way of doing Financial Management linked to all the other parts of business is a good implementation. You do not
need a separate budgeting, asset management, reporting and auditing requirements (for SOX compliance). Everything comes out of the
box. I haven't seen such a offering either by SAP business byDesign or Netsuite and I guess ofbiz can do it since it's a single data
model but no component is there to address it.

Regards,
Vikrant

Re: Workday

Posted by "Enrique Ruibal A." <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Hi,

I just wanted to point out that Workday is based on the REA Model
developed William E. McCarthy, it's a very straightforward approach to
design and implment business processes, you can check out the excelent
book by Hruby on this, please check this link:

http://www.squidoo.com/REA

I'm new to Ofbiz but as far as I can see, its architecture resembles a
lot from what is described in the basic examples I have seen in this book.

Regards,
Enrique Ruibal

David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
> he likes about Workday. If you're listening in Vikrant, please do
> write more about what parts of the Workday approach you like.
>
> For my part I have looked into it a little bit and I think their
> approach is great. More specifically what I like is the idea of
> creating a software suite for a particular type of business that
> basically does everything that such a business would need. Doing just
> this sort of thing as a derivative work based on OFBiz has been part
> of the long-term strategy from the beginning.
>
> The accounting piece would benefit from this, but in a way that is
> similar to how all other parts would benefit. That benefit is reducing
> redundant data and tying things together directly that might otherwise
> be in different systems. For accounting this is great because you
> don't need to introduce so many artificial structures to take partial
> data from other systems that is needed for operations or reporting,
> especially ad-hoc reporting when creating a data warehouse to
> consolidate data from multiple systems is not really a tenable
> approach. The "cost centers" thread that was active recently is a good
> example of partially redundant data that is necessary because of
> separate systems and a light integration between them.
>
> I don't know if that is what Vikrant liked about Workday, but that is
> something that struck me as I was reviewing the public material
> available.
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 11, 2008, at 2:59 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently had an exchange with Vikrant Rathore about new accounting
>> efforts. I think it is worth to be reported, here it is
>>
>> Vikrant : Have a look at http://www.workday.com/ I would prefer to
>> implement finance in their way not the traditional ERP way.
>>
>> Me : What is so specific in their offer apart it's an ASP ?
>>
>> Hi Jacques,
>>
>> In financial component they combined 5 major parts of Finance:
>> 1. GL Management (ofbiz is still working on to implement it)
>> 2. Reporting (both statutory and financial management related)
>> 3. Auditing
>> 4. Budgeting and tracking.
>> 5. Asset Management.
>>
>> Normally none of the Financial Management system itself comes close
>> to it. As you have to buy separate software to do it. Besides this
>> the way they presented the whole solution is more business oriented
>> then technical jargon oriented which is what most ERP's do.
>>
>> So I feel there way of doing Financial Management linked to all the
>> other parts of business is a good implementation. You do not need a
>> separate budgeting, asset management, reporting and auditing
>> requirements (for SOX compliance). Everything comes out of the box. I
>> haven't seen such a offering either by SAP business byDesign or
>> Netsuite and I guess ofbiz can do it since it's a single data model
>> but no component is there to address it.

RE: Workday

Posted by Vi...@bertelsmann.com.cn.
Hi David,

I haven't used workday extensively was just intrigued by their concept of the way they structured the application in a relatively simple design based on how people work.

If you read the book and see the way they applied those concepts is quite good. But I really doubt still if it would be easy to sale this to a CFO of a company who are entrenched in the traditional thinking.

Indeed building a software is easy but making people use it is the hardest part today, since there are so many similar offerings.

But overall I like the concept of workday and the reporting and other things come into place automatically :). Since its structured around the way people work.

I feel since ofbiz GL and Financial component is not yet complete and remaining processes are in place indeed some help can be taken from workday since in their offering the finance is the last part :). Although I have to admit the first reason company wants an ERP is because they want to see consolidated finance which in itself is a problem right now.

Regards,
Vikrant

Re: Workday

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for this technical  insight and interesting comment, David !

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Re: Workday

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Vikrant,

I agree with you totally about what is good in Workday, ie the
comprehensive system approach.

That is definitely something we're trying to do with OFBiz. The fact
that it's an ERP system without a focus on accounting is (right now
anyway) somewhat painfully evident based on the fact that the general
ledger is the weakest part of OFBiz. That is changing quickly though
and in fact the auto-posting services are quite nice now in OFBiz and
the reports are making progress. Things are going well and that part
of OFBiz is currently attracting clients to help flesh it out and do
initial implementations that are proof of applicability (we/Hotwax
have some clients asking about this right now).

Most of the rest of OFBiz is being used with some degree of
customization for all parts of enterprise automation, including
fulfillment/warehousing and manufacturing and project management and
customer service and order processing and so on. It is still a future
goal to have these things elegant out of the box and have UIs that
address common business processes with ease, which is what I guess you
are referring to by the work in progress nature of OFBiz.

Anyway, good comments all around and definitely helpful as all of us
visualize the future of OFBiz from a big picture perspective, even as
we work on the little day to day requirements and issues that come up.

-David

On Jan 16, 2008, at 6:58 PM, <Vi...@bertelsmann.com.cn> <Vikrant.Rathore@bertelsmann.com.cn

Re: Workday

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.