Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com> on 2004/02/27 15:16:19 UTC

Choosing 1.2.0 (Re: [ANNOUNCE] Struts 1.2.0 Test Build available)

At 9:05 AM +0100 2/27/04, nicolas De Loof wrote:
>Can you please post a "what's new" about this release to help me
>make my boss agree to use Struts 1.2.0 for new projects ?

Oh yes, this also reminds me: I think we need to be on guard for a
lot of questions like this.  Martin described the release correctly
on struts-user, but many people will be thinking "new struts release,
gotta have it..."

Particularly with the 1.2.0 tree, people need to be conscious that
many deprecated methods and classes were removed, so transitioning to
1.2 from 1.1 may not be a simple drop-in.  Also, as Martin noted,
using the Tomcat-style release cycle, the mere existence of a
numbered release of Struts does not necessarily mean the a release
that your boss would be happy with (depending on your boss, of
course).

I've been using Struts nightlies for a while, and I'm confident in
their general stability and reliability -- but that's not sufficient
for everyone.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska