Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Pawel Rog <pa...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/28 17:50:53 UTC

Contribute QParserPlugin

Hi,
I need QParserPlugin that will use Redis as a backend to prepare filter
queries. There are several data structures available in Redis (hash, set,
etc.). From some reasons I cannot fetch data from redis data structures,
build and send big requests from application. That's why I want to build
that filters on backend (Solr) side.

I'm wondering what do I have to do to contribute QParserPlugin into Solr
repository. Can you suggest me a way (in a few steps) to publish it in Solr
repository, probably as a contrib?

--
Paweł Róg

Re: Contribute QParserPlugin

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<ot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> am not sure how the "may not want" process happened there. Would be
>> nice to have one actually, because there is a slow building wave of
>> external components for Solr which are completely not discoverable by
>> the Solr community at large.
>>

> Agreed.... and a Wiki page where people can add this or Google don't cut
> it? (serious question)

It does not. Current Wiki  is extremely out of date, and offers no
incentives or automation around having the plugins published there.
Plus the Wiki itself is in a transition and no real decision has been
taken about either fate of current wiki or the proper public
contribution models to the new Guide. This needs to be structured,
discoverable and actionable. Not difficult, just structured in the
right way.

Google does not work mostly because Solr articles/modules/extensions
has moved from information availability and into the information
abundance with the significant need for curation.

Yes, something could be done by heroic efforts of one individual
(subscribe to my solr-start.com mailing list for an announcement in a
relevant area), but a proper package support is needed.

>> So, I would love us to (re-?)start the serious discussion on the
>> plugin model for Solr. Probably on the dev list.
>>

> Sure.  Separate thread?
Done. On dev.

Regards,
   Alex.

Current project: http://www.solr-start.com/ - Accelerating your Solr proficiency

Re: Contribute QParserPlugin

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
<ar...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, Solr just bundled a set of Hadoop jars that does not actually
> contribute anything to Solr itself (not really integrated, etc). So, I

Good point about Hadoop jars.

> am not sure how the "may not want" process happened there. Would be
> nice to have one actually, because there is a slow building wave of
> external components for Solr which are completely not discoverable by
> the Solr community at large.

Agreed.... and a Wiki page where people can add this or Google don't cut
it? (serious question)

> So, I would love us to (re-?)start the serious discussion on the
> plugin model for Solr. Probably on the dev list.

Sure.  Separate thread?

I would even commit to building an initial package discovery/search
> website if the dev-list powers would agree on how that mechanism
> (package/plugins/downloads) should look like. ElasticSearch is very
> obviously benefiting from having a plugin system. Solr's kitchen-sync
> approach worked when it was the only one. But with increased speed of
> releases and the growing packages, it is becoming very noticeably
> pudgy. It even had to be excused during the Solr vs. ElasticSearch
> presentation at the BerlinBuzz a couple of days ago.

For the curious - Alex is referring to
http://blog.sematext.com/2014/05/28/presentation-and-video-side-by-side-with-solr-and-elasticsearch/

Re building something - may be best to talk about that in that separate
thread.

> P.s. Regarding the specific issue, I know of another Redis plugin. Not
> sure how relevant or useful it is, but at least it exists:
> https://github.com/dfdeshom/solr-redis-cache

Thanks.  It's different from what Pawel was asking about.  Maybe Pawel can
provide a couple of examples so people can better understand what he is
looking to do.

Otis

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.