Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/19 12:33:56 UTC

Work assignment protocol?

Just a quick one - should we have some sort of work assignment protocol?
For example, I saw a JIRA ticket come in, I assigned it to myself, asked
for a bit more information. Whilst then reviewing something else, I then
see that ticket is resolved, fixed etc.

Whilst I'm not ungrateful for the fix, given that I had less than 40
minutes to look at the ticket and test a fix, I do feel a little robbed of
the opportunity to look at it myself.

If I had assigned to myself and done nothing for 2 days, this doesn't seem
unreasonable. Alternatively, a "Hey Jon, I know the answer to this off the
top of my head, I'll take it" also doesn't seem unreasonable either.

In order to build our skills and all grow, we all need a fair shot at
fixing things - I appreciate that might feel like things go more slowly as
we are at different levels, and some of us are not as fast as others. But
its hard to boost your skills if you don't get to work on the bugs when
they come in.

I'd like to proposed that if a JIRA is assigned, and "Work Started", then
its owned by whoever its assigned to. If there's then no activity for a
couple of days then sending a note saying "Are you stuck?" / "Can I help?"
/ "Can I take this ticket?" is fair game.

Thoughts?

Jon

Re: Work assignment protocol?

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.