Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/07 12:57:47 UTC

HTTPCLIENT-1350

Hi Oleg,

I know you were working on state cleanup for the 4.2.5 release.  I think
HTTPCLIENT-1350 may be related to this.  Would you be willing to have a
quick look, and recommend debug logging options so that we can get what you
think is needed to figure out the issue?

Thanks!
Karl

Re: HTTPCLIENT-1350

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 08:54 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
> bq. The problem is that older (and broken HTTP/1.1) will have no chance to
> respond at all if the client waits forever for a 100 status.
>
> I understand this concern, but remember that the user had to explicitly
> enable USE_EXPECT_CONTINUE in the first place.  If they were dealing with
> broken servers that did not properly support expect/continue, then why
> would they do that?  In other words, we already have a good window into the
> user's intent here - no need to code for least common denominator.
>
> Karl

I remember that but still of opinion we should comply with the
requirements of the HTTP spec. Not every application can expect a
particular protocol compliance level from all potential target and proxy
servers. One might want to enable the 'expect: continue' handshake by
default and still expect the client to handle an occasional
non-compliant behavior.

Oleg

Re: HTTPCLIENT-1350

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.