Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us> on 2011/04/15 14:53:25 UTC

Question to the PMC

Our office is agressivly scratching some itches right now with regards to
struts. We will be opening a ticket for each patch / issue. But I am afriad that
the lag between adoption of the patches will cause a build up of deltas against
the committed code. I think this was a type of issue to justify git. So what I
would like to know is if we (um, I) could get a small slice under sandbox to
commit patches to, which then if adopted, be merged. Issues will still be
submitted to jira.

This would allow development to proceded for us with out making anyone go crazy.

Right now, we are working on: global results annotation, url tag method bug,
portlet 168 plugin , portlet 286 plugin.

-Jason Pyeron

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -

RE: Question to the PMC

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

I am pretty sure we have filled out one of these in years gone by for another
apache project, but it is not difficult to send in another one.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

> though). I doubt too many patches would be neglected for any
> length of time that'd cause a real issue; I feel a commit
> urge coming on.

Control your urges, you're in public.

-                                                               -

Re: Question to the PMC

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us> wrote:
> Our office is agressivly scratching some itches right now with regards to
> struts. We will be opening a ticket for each patch / issue. But I am afriad that
> the lag between adoption of the patches will cause a build up of deltas against
> the committed code. I think this was a type of issue to justify git. So what I
> would like to know is if we (um, I) could get a small slice under sandbox to
> commit patches to, which then if adopted, be merged. Issues will still be
> submitted to jira.
>
> This would allow development to proceded for us with out making anyone go crazy.

I think it's unlikely there would be a lot of overlap, really. I think
repo access would require a CLA (don't know though). I doubt too many
patches would be neglected for any length of time that'd cause a real
issue; I feel a commit urge coming on.

Dave

RE: Question to the PMC

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

Not advocating a git philospohy, and I understand the participating for a while
concept too. Agreeably I have not been as active as others in terms of output.

I have a team that is going to be working on a large project using struts, our
internal time line will be in hours not days or weeks and I want to avoid a
private forked copy of struts. I think it would be unreasonable to ask the
struts devs to take monolithic patches, and I think it would be too much to ask
my devs to fork from trunk for each fix, and then merge it into a private fork.

I feel the win win would be to not have a private fork, and not create a
situation where there would be a monolithic patch.

> repos at Apache.  (Some people are working on it, and
> apparently there's a way for committers to use git but write
> through to svn.  There is some info here:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html )

-                                                               -

Re: Question to the PMC

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us> wrote:
> Our office is agressivly scratching some itches right now with regards to
> struts. We will be opening a ticket for each patch / issue. But I am afriad that
> the lag between adoption of the patches will cause a build up of deltas against
> the committed code. I think this was a type of issue to justify git.

Have you seen the git mirrors?  I see Struts listed, but I'm not sure
exactly what's there or whether it would be useful:
http://git.apache.org/ . Out to the right there's a link to github.

Commit access to svn usually comes after submitting patches and
participating for a while.  Though I understand the git philosophy is
different, we don't yet have canonical git repos at Apache.  (Some

--
Wendy